1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Robust American Beauty Long Bed

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Jim McLain, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Jim McLain

Jim McLain Artist

Location (City & State):
    Socorro, New Mexico
    Selling my American Beauty Long Bed Lathe. Package includes:

3HP Baldor motor
    Swing away with gas shock assist
    Extra banjo
    Wheel/caster set not pictured
    Tool caddy
    Auxiliary power strip mounted to back of lathe
    M33 spindle but could be changed out by Robust to your preference
    Standard equipment live center, face plate, tool rest......
    Robust external tool rest
    12 inch offset tool rest 1 inch bar similar to best wood tools
    2 led magnetic base lamps pictured separately not the ones on the lathe
    Alisam indexing wheel
    Axminster evolution chuck with four sets of jaws two with slides near new condition
    Will consider throwing in the custom mat pictured for additional $’s

$7,000 firm for now. I have never seen one of these come up for sale so I have no idea how to price it but this seems fair for the package.

I am in Socorro New Mexico
    I can provide assistance with loading
    E-mail me at jasjmclain@msn.com if interested or for further details.

EA27BC04-8ACA-42AE-8289-E1AC8573B447.jpeg 219D7802-5130-45BE-A01D-013A97B7A418.jpeg FC27116A-82F3-4765-9465-7E46FE30D431.jpeg 24C1D813-15FE-4236-91F9-2C39EECA6DF5.jpeg 135E989F-8F6B-4A5F-A589-2D1B234969AE.jpeg 68F9CADE-88EB-4116-B127-999A0233F50C.jpeg 058D2BC0-347F-4B1F-B697-9ED610EBABF6.jpeg 16E56FFB-2CCB-4B28-A897-6A8737A4D65B.jpeg

John Hicks likes this.
  2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    That seems like a very good price to me. What year did you get it? It looks like a newer model than mine which I got in 2011. Mine has three pulley ranges and I think that yours probably has two speed ranges.

3. Jim McLain

Jim McLain Artist

Location (City & State):
    Socorro, New Mexico
    I purchased it in October of 2014. It has a little over one year of warranty left that would transfer to the new owner. It is the two step pully.

4. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    Where were you a year ago when I needed you? I now have essentially the identical setup. Wonderful lathe! That's a very fair price, especially for someone who doesn't need to ship it across the country.

5. Jim McLain

Jim McLain Artist

Location (City & State):
    Socorro, New Mexico
    Open to reasonable offers.

6. Jim McLain

Jim McLain Artist

Location (City & State):
    Socorro, New Mexico
    I have had a couple of inquiries on the lathe but no real interest. My posting has been up for 40 days now so feel free to delete it if necessary.

7. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Ads can remain active as long as the OP wishes. Ads are closed if there are no posts for a month following the latest post. But, you can keep it active just by "bumping" the thread. A bump can be as simple as posting something like, "still for sale".

When the lathe sells or you decide that you want to take down the ad just let us know either by posting in this thread or by PM.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  8. Jim McLain

Jim McLain Artist

Location (City & State):
    Socorro, New Mexico
    Bill - Thanks for the clarification. I will let you know when to take it down.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  9. Dave Fritz

Dave Fritz

Location (City & State):
    Montfort, Wisconsin
    If it wasn't for the virus I suspect this would have sold in a heartbeat. It sure is a good deal.

10. Kevin Jesequel

Kevin Jesequel

Location (City & State):
    Portland, Oregon
    I agree, it is a good deal. I recently purchased a used Oneway for a good deal, but still it felt a little foolish dipping into my savings during these uncertain times (all notions of foolishness went away as soon as I started turning on it). Jim, have you considered using some type of payment service that would allow a buyer to finance the purchase, or pay with a credit card? Also, to anyone considering this lathe, but wondering how to ship it, I recommend you look into companies that ship motorcycles across the country. With the wheel kit on this lathe, it would roll right into an enclosed trailer where it can be strapped down. If there are any of these companies near you, they may cut you a deal if they have a delivery anywhere near NM and can bring this lathe back with them instead of an empty trailer.

11. Jim McLain

Jim McLain Artist

Location (City & State):
    Socorro, New Mexico
    Kevin - Thanks for the tip on the motor cycle carriers, I had no idea such a service existed.

I would be willing to accept PayPal where they could use a credit card. I also have a square account for credit cards. In either case who pays the fees would have to be negotiated as part of the deal.

Kevin Jesequel likes this.