• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
10 Moons of Ranchipur
rmuniak

10 Moons of Ranchipur

Well I finished the full sized version
Photo: Arlan Heiser
What an accomplishment!!

It's inspiring to see a fearless man who moves resolutely forward to realize his visions. What kind of lathe did you use? Perhaps a pair of Kenworths, parked parallel to one another, their rear ends elevated, frames welded to I-beams? Your turning tools must look like carbide shovels.

My hat's off to you!! -andy

Believe it or not I have done larger pieces. When I was a patternmaker we had a job once for Goodyear for the mold for the amphibious tank tires. Mind you it was only half the mold( we made the mold in wood and then it was cast in metal) they made 2 and bolted them together. It measured 14 feet in diam. and about 16" thick. We used ponderossa pine and the segments where 2' thick and as I recall aroud 20 segments each layer. The lathe was an old 2 ton Oliver with about a 24" swing between centers . This piece was done on the outside of the lathe on a huge faceplate with 6 2 x 10 maple arms. The lathe was jacked up around a foot plus we had a pit that was about 2 feet deep. It was all done with an enourmous plank stradleing the pit with a portible toolrest resting on it (not bolted down). I was young and daring , don't think I would attempt anything like that today...

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
rmuniak
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename