• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
8x2 Poplar platter with etched rim
NormCloutier

8x2 Poplar platter with etched rim

I took a class with Ray Key last month and we did platters out of simple poplar for practice. I have not been a big fan of much surface treatment but I liked the platter shape enough that I wanted to do something a little special to the simple wood. It has some grain pattern, but it's very subtle.

I created a basic spiral pattern -- very tiny lines/gaps -- and etched it on the wide rim. I was pleased and surprised to see that it not only dressed the surface but actually enhanced the grain a bit instead if obliterating it. At least that's the way I see it. I think I might be trying this again soon.
That is beautiful, Norm......

I really like the patterns you created with the tool work. Did you do the radiating lines with a spear point? How about the spacing......any special method, or are they just spaced by eye?

ooc

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

The platter was turned by hand; the etching was done with a laser engraver after a few practice runs. That is, a CNC Epilog laser, not a hand tool. I am a member of a local group, TechShopRDU, that lets me schedule time on the machine. It's like a rose engine, but with nearly infinite design possibilities and extremely limited depth options.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
NormCloutier
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device