• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
AAW Forum contest entry - Round Bottom Bowl
S. Clark

AAW Forum contest entry - Round Bottom Bowl

Sweet Gum 7-5/8
Was a time when many were done just as yours because they were ment to sit in a frame or small stand. Also had the advantage of keeping the wall thickness even to control warping. You point is well taken for display bowls where stability for moving contents is not a factor. If, however, the "weeble effect" dumped the chips, salad, or soup, the idea would not be very popular.

Rim treatment is nicely done and gives an illusion of larger scale than you list. Just looking at the photo, I could easily guess this piece to be in the 16-18" range. Well-handled form with deference afforded to the grain and coloration.

Good Luck!

m

Thanks Mark. I know it's not very practical but then practicality is rarely my intent. Just my nature I guess. It's fun to try different curves and see how well they balance. I've done some smaller vessels which require little dished podiums. This allows you to position the piece at various angles and change the effective appearance. On their own they won't stand though.

- Scott

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
S. Clark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata