• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Big Leaf Burl Goblet
Dave Landers

Big Leaf Burl Goblet

A Natural-edge goblet. It's about 5" tall and the bowl is about 2-1/2" diameter.
The bowl and foot are Big Leaf Maple burl.
The bowl is natural-edged, and the top of the base is uncut burl cap.
The stem is maple, dyed with India ink.
Finish is spray (rattle-can) lacquer.
All the separate elements of your goblet are very well done, Dave.
However, IMO, the "visual balance" is off. If you reversed the stem I think that would be an improvement (of course, a slight modification at the cup would be necessary). Just my 2¢.:)

However, IMO, the "visual balance" is off. If you reversed the stem I think that would be an improvement (of course, a slight modification at the cup would be necessary). Just my 2¢.:)
I can see that.
I've done stems both ways and go back and forth about which I like better...

When I first saw Dave's goblet, the upsidedowniness occurred to me, upon reflection, I wondered if I was being trapped by the natural shape we assume all finials take. ie. narrow part to the top? Since this isn't a finial in the strictest sense (it doesn't end anything but rather connects two segments), I looked for another reason why the 'balance' might be off and I really couldn't find any - all the elements fit and seemed cohesive once I put the "normal finial" aside.

When I first saw Dave's goblet, the upsidedowniness occurred to me, upon reflection, I wondered if I was being trapped by the natural shape we assume all finials take. ie. narrow part to the top? Since this isn't a finial in the strictest sense (it doesn't end anything but rather connects two segments), I looked for another reason why the 'balance' might be off and I really couldn't find any - all the elements fit and seemed cohesive once I put the "normal finial" aside.
To be honest, the main reason the stem ended up this way is because of the natural surface of the base. Most of my goblet stems are flared at both top and bottom to transition into the curves of the bowl and base.

For this one, I didn't want to cut any sort of flat spot on the base where I could attach a flared stem, so the stem just tapers into the base (or arrises out like the points of the burl cap, depending on if you're a top-down or bottom-up sort of person).

Sometimes the practical overrides my considerations about artistic-ness. Sometimes it works out.

I'm glad if I at least made a few of us think a bit.

Depends on your assumptions. To me there is a difference between a "stem" and a "finial". A finial has a free end - whether it is on the top (typical) or hanging free on the bottom (ornament). A stem connects two parts - separate or integrated. Dave called it a "stem". ;)

Depends on your assumptions. To me there is a difference between a "stem" and a "finial". A finial has a free end - whether it is on the top (typical) or hanging free on the bottom (ornament). A stem connects two parts - separate or integrated. Dave called it a "stem". ;)
Good points - when I consulted and was called in to solve problems the FIRST thing I did was determine what the "assumptions" were.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Landers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device