• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Blue Jay Box
Christine Smith

Blue Jay Box

Lidded Bocote box with Blackwood acorn knob and hand carved BlueJay tail feather. (6”x4”) A Blue Jay’s feather represents positivity, bright thoughts and ideas. Find one and you can expect good things happening in your life.
Thank you, Al!
And thanks for noticing the feet. I wanted to add a little more interest but the blank was only so tall…

Nice one, Christine. I like how the grain pattern flows from the box through the lid, the acorn knob (although it could be less pointy IMO), and the wonderful feather. Still on the fence about the feet. I assume the feather should not be used for lifting the lid! ;)

Nice one, Christine. I like how the grain pattern flows from the box through the lid, the acorn knob (although it could be less pointy IMO), and the wonderful feather. Still on the fence about the feet. I assume the feather should not be used for lifting the lid! ;)
Thank you, Tom!
Agreed with all. The feather is made much stronger by applying a good dose of super glue before painting. It’s glued to the acorn stem with epoxy and sturdy enough to be used to lift the lid. But if it gets dropped…it will break. (All in all the acorn would be preferred to be used in lifting the lid...)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Christine Smith
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename