• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bowl - 436
E

Bowl - 436

The Wood is English Walnut. The size is 8" dia x 5" tall. The finish is Danish oil then buffed with white diamond and carnauba wax.

This piece shows how you can create the illusion of heft without the heft. The rim is undercut to the same thickness as the rest of the bowl. When you pick up this piece, you are treated to a real surprise. I find the weight of this piece very pleasing and I enjoy watching it settle into its natural resting place because of the round bottom.
You didn't mention the position of the heart v. sapwood in this piece, which I think really adds to its success. Very nicely designed!

Don

Ed, as I said the first time I saw this piece, it couldn't be any better. I love the grain layers that resulted from your choice of orientation. A wonderful bowl!

Don, I'm pretty certain that most often we turners orient the sapwood closest to the rim. On this piece I chose to do the opposite. Why? Because the heartwood grain really caught my eye and needed to be the focus on this bowl. The sapwood, although very beautiful, does not have the punch of the heartwood. Thank you.

Michael, Thank you very much for your kind comments. I'm pretty certain I'm a better bowl maker that box maker. But the more often I see your work, the better my boxes become. Ed

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device