• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Eclipse Light Fixture
Jim Bremer

Eclipse Light Fixture

24" turned poplar disk panted with Krylon hammered metal paint. Base is 1/8" masonite with painted textured wall paper. Light source is 12" flourecent circular lube.

Sometimes it's hard to explain where ideas come from. This came out of nowhere and I just had to do it. I guess I got tired of things you put on a table and decided to hang one from the ceiling. It is inspired by a solar eclipse.
I like the design Jim. Since the wood is obscured, I wonder if this would have been easier to build out of another material. Also wood burns...

I also like the way the light emanates out of this fixture.

Jeff. I appreciate the kind words, but I do find irony in the material comment. Wood is hardly the material of choice for a bowl or a plate when you really think about it. You can't put them in the dishwasher or the microwave, and they won't even hold water. Besides that, The American Association of Plastic Turners just doesn't cut it for me.

The light puts out very little heat so I don't see that as a problem.

Just kidding Jeff, I always like you feedback.

Good point! I guess wooden bowls and plates have made it this far because of their legacy. I wonder if people will still want a wooden salad bowl in 100 years, or if they will consider them quaint like "something our grandparents used to have in the 2000's".

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jim Bremer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device