• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
First Contact??
B

First Contact??

Our club presidents challenge of Turn something Weird was last Saturday and this was my entry.

Last year during our clubs Spring Retreat which is two days of hands on turning classes and demonstrations, Jerry Bennett did a demo covering design and how to get out of your box. One exercise; we were given a folded piece of paper and scissors and was asked to cut out a shape. After we finished he said that looks great now go turn it. Well I taped it to a shop cabinet door so I wouldnt forget; finally got around to turning something resembling that shape and when finished it sucked! So started cutting and carving and shaping and texturing and coloring and then did some more. It still needed something and then I though of giving homage to Jerry so guess what an eye (he does eyes) not as good as his but looks OK  so turning out of the box was fun. I call it First Contact??? but some of my so called friends think I should call it Self-Portrait :)
Maple, dye and acrylics, finished with semi-gloss lacquer - 10X5

Comments and critiques are always welcome.
Bill - Jerry did a great job of teaching you how to come out of the box. You definitely pushed the envelope here. A great piece. Looks as good here as it did at the meeting.

Bill

very nice, i espically like the legs, i am currently looking high and low for design help, and i think you have covered high and low here, the eye was a great touch

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bill Tilson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename