• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Manta Ray Gold
Terry Scott

Manta Ray Gold

Description: Manta Ray Gold

Ancient kauri, 500mm square 19 inches
Another square winged piece in my series (Ho Hum)
This piece was textured with a die grinder, 6 wire brushes that fit in a dremel were used to get rid of the furry bits , then lots and lots of copper leaf applied .Nearly two packs.
The under side of the wings have been textured as well. Then I sponged on acrylic colours to give the glimmering opaque look. I lost count of the coats of 30% gloss I sprayed on .I wonted a depth to the texture and I just kept spaying.
The richness of the Kauri was first brought out by sanding with oil.
Cutting the wings with the skew as normal poses its problems on a piece this size .My rule of thumb is once you start cutting you cannot stop, because if you do I tend to loose the flow of were I have been cutting. You sort of get mesmerised by the sound and the cutting sound so you have to know when to stop .
I had to add a piece of pipe onto my handle for this one as the cut went in so far I ran out of handle to hold onto.
I would like to know what you think about this piece, am I heading in the right direction, is the form ok, do you like the colour and texture?
Hi Terry - Form looks good to me. I very much like the the collar that you put on this one. Makes for a really nice transition from the textured / embellished exterior to the natural interior.

The texturing looks good, but I think it is hard to fully appreciate it in the picture. I'm sure the piece would be a stunner in hand.

Looks like you chose dark colors to sponge on over the copper leaf. Have you ever tried a copper leaf project where you dab on various types of antiquing solutions to get various colored patinas (greens, blues, blacks)?

Ed

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata