• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
First Purpleheart bowl
Brett Johnson

First Purpleheart bowl

Started with a 8" x 8" square, 2" deep. I made an error with my mortise, created it too large, newbie mistake. So my design choice on the bottom became a mortise within a mortise. Some chip-out on initial shaping resulted in a 7" diameter bowl. I think this is the largest non-segmented bowl I've turned since starting this hobby. Finished with Myland's friction polish.
It's been a very long time since I've turned Purpleheart. But as I recall, it is a very brittle wood prone to chipping - especially with heavy cuts. The color can be a brilliant purple when freshly cut but eventually will turn to a muddy gray-brown in most cases. Your bowl looks like it is about halfway there. You're doing great for a newbie, Brett !

It's been a very long time since I've turned Purpleheart. But as I recall, it is a very brittle wood prone to chipping - especially with heavy cuts. The color can be a brilliant purple when freshly cut but eventually will turn to a muddy gray-brown in most cases. Your bowl looks like it is about halfway there. You're doing great for a newbie, Brett !
Thanks Tom, I appreciate that. Yes, I lost a decent size chip during initial shaping and lost an inch of diameter by the time I was done. I wasn't sure which side of the plank to use as the top. The white/gray color on the front of the photo looked brittle to me, and it's only on the top half of the plank so I decided to use that for the top. I may try the reverse on the next piece and see how it looks.

Media information

Album
Bowl turning
Added by
Brett Johnson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device