• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ginkgo and Butterflies
Terry Scott

Ginkgo and Butterflies

inkgo and Butterflies
180mm high 7inches
I just love this timber, turned wet it doesnt move .The only timber I have turned pieces out of a branch all that shrinks is the pith leaving a small hole
At Xmas My wife and I took our three daughters away to our holiday home on Waiheke Island about a 2 hour trip on a car ferry .This was fine but we ended up with 13 teenage girls staying for a week .Dad had to take some turning with him to keep him sane.(As I had finished all the building work ,the lawns and the gardens were up to scratch )And I had had enough of Dad being the target for drowning ,some time was spent creating
As you can imagine it was tuff work sitting on the deck carving and texturing work I had taken with me .I have taken a lathe in the past but the heat in the kitchen ,and not having room on the trailer this time because of all the junk 13 girls seemed to need to take with them .
The butterflies were burnt in then prima colour markers used followed by many colours of airbrushing .This took a fair while to complete (I couldnt finish to quick or Id have to get the boat out to go water skiing)
This is the first time I have been happy with the form and the finish internally on a hollow form .I sanded the inside by making up one of Eugenes flapper wheels
A bit light I may have to put some marbles in the bottom to stop it blowing away.
Comments welcome
Your piece is marvelous, but its a medal you deserve, 13 teenage girls! The wasn't a piece of work it was an act of desperate sanity!

I really like your vase. what is the wood type?

Howard Beaver

Ginkgo ?Maiden hair tree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo
Thanks for commenting ,if you go to my web site www.timberly.co.nz there are other works made from this timber
Turns like butter and carves well
Cheers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings