• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
I was told I should remove the pith
Dave Landers

I was told I should remove the pith

Inspired by John Beaver (hopefully that's obvious). Not trying to copy him, but rather this is an initial piece to explore some new (to me) ideas.

Walnut, about 5" diameter, Maple pewa.

Turned and finished green (not dripping, but still damp if you will). Some cracks showed up around the end grain due to the extended time the piece spent exposed to air (and drying) while I was working on it. I'm not too concerned as it is just an exploration prototype.
Dave......I've had a few bowls that began to crack before I could finish roughing them......not much you could do about that, other than just be faster! Probably doesn't apply to your turning here, because all of my bowls are twice turned...

You must have eliminated the cracks with the pewas......in that case, nice save! :)

-----odie-----

Dave......I've had a few bowls that began to crack before I could finish roughing them......not much you could do about that, other than just be faster! Probably doesn't apply to your turning here, because all of my bowls are twice turned...

You must have eliminated the cracks with the pewas......in that case, nice save! :)

-----odie-----
Yeah, I do both twice-turn and some pieces I do once-turned, just depends on what I'm making. But either case I do try to get them done promptly and in a bag. The extra time fiddling with jigs for the cut-out and the pewa let it dry more than I'd have liked.
Cutting out the pith did, I'm sure, help a lot, but there are still some small cracks radiating out from the pith that may or may not be a problem in coming days. Future "real" pieces will be dried more carefully, but this one just needed to get done so I could get this idea out of my head and into wood.

Dave, Great innovation! I love seeing the natural cracks and how they were married in this creation. Your talent and technical skill is displayed In this piece. Whether you get it or not, this is my piece of the week!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Landers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device