• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Mesquite Vase
Randy Anderson

Mesquite Vase

Sometimes I feel that my primary contribution on a piece is to just not mess it up. This is one of those. I recently made a trip to South TX to visit family and my nephew had gathered up a good load of mesquite for me to bring back. Each piece is twisted, odd shaped and requires a lot of time planning to maximize the outcome. I've turned a few smaller pieces so far but this one is the best so far. A lot more to work through but this kind of work is really rewarding and fun. Lots of planning, risk for failure and never know what you'll find inside. 9" tall. Oil and wax finish.
Thanks. I kept the wall thickness to 3/8 and light cuts thinking any minute the large areas around the void were going to go sailing off.

Good job - takes serious planning to do a piece like that - would love to see the log on the lathe but prior to turning.

Thanks for all the feedback. Today and tomorrow are my biggest market event days of the year. Have to decide if I put this one on table to sell.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Randy Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename