• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Milo Natural Edge
H

Milo Natural Edge

6 3/4 X 7" Milo turned end grain and finished with Watco Danish Oil.
Mahalo for looking & comments
Doug
Thanks for your comment. Milo is a nice turning wood when wet. I turned this piece to finish wet, and let it dry for several months before sanding. When dry, Milo can be really nasty as it tends to produce more dust than shavings and the dust is very hot and will burn your hand if subjected to a steady stream of it. The dry dust is really nasty and a good respirator is necassary. This wood is so stable that we frequently turn, sand, and finish at one setting. The colors start off as somewhat purplish heartwood and off white sapwood and after muct UV and drying will change to dark brown to almost black and the sw will to tan.
Doug

Doug,

This came out really nice!! I have always loved this type of shape and the Milo fits it well! Hope to see this one in person someday. Give my best to everyone at the next meeting. Am in the Seattle area for most of the month!

How is your effort to make a really BIG coring tool coming?

Dave Somers

ALoha Dave,
We will miss you at the Kona meeting. This piece has been sold so I won't be showing it. As far as the coring tool, I got a good start and got busy on other work, so it will be a while before I continue. Are you looking up turners in the Seattle area, or too busy with work.
Mahalo for your comments, Doug

No time yet Doug, Not sure how I will fair towards the end of the trip, pretty busy right now though. I am over in Port Angeles now working on a boat (this is not a work trip by the way.....though I am working too hard for it to be a vacation) More later!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Hawaii Turner
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename