• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
new ornaments
john lucas

new ornaments

Here are my latest ornaments. Spent the weekend playing and had fun making these.
A very nice selection of ornaments in traditional and non-traditional styles.

I give ornaments to people with small children and like the more robust icicles, they are more child-friendly.

John, Very pretty! Am trying to make some. What are the average overall dimensions (length and max. dia.) you use? Maybe even a max. weight?

Texian I'll have to guess because I've take all the ornaments to my gallery to be sold. I would say the ball ends up around 2 to 2 1/2" around. I've shortened the finials on my ornaments because people feel like they fit on the tree better at this length. They probably end up being about 4 to 5" occasionally 6" if it needs it.
The general rule of thumb for max weight on an ornament is 2 oz. Mine are usually half that or lighter. I've actually started making them heavier because I don't hollow them as thin. As long as they feel light the customer doesn't know the difference between light and really light. I can hollow them much faster if I leave the walls around 1/4" instead of 1/8" or less.

Thanks John! I didn't realize they were hollowed. Very impressive and time consuming work. Am trying to think of a subtle way of asking about the retail price range of this level of work, but it isn't coming to me. Most folks have little conception of the amount of work required to produce such nice pieces.

Texian First you have to realize I am in a monetarily depressed area and I am monetarily depressed. This lower the price to whatever I think I can get and I know this isn't a good way to do it but when you need the cash coming in you price accordingly. I sell my plain ornaments, just ball and finial for $25. The fancier ones I sell for either $35 or $45 but the $45 dollar ones always sit there forever. Apparently in my area $45 is just too much no matter how much work goes into the ornament.
Although these require several minutes to glue up I make a 2 foot board and cut it up to make the individual ornaments so I really don't have that much time in any one of them. I can hollow very rapidly and shaping the ball only takes a few passes of the gouge. The finial actualy takes longer to make because the detail is so fine.

John, I can relate to both monetarily depressed forms you mentioned, as I am there also. I have a few pieces gathering dust in the local "pottery shop". Speed is key to making any $$ on one's time. I can do some nice work but am slower than glaciers. Thanks for the info!.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
john lucas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device