• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pohutukawa series
Terry Scott

Pohutukawa series

Pohutakawa Hollow form
After the platter I thought I would have a go at a small hollow form.
This piece started off much larger but being Pohutakawa I had to turn away voids, cracks and punky wood .In the end a 4inch cub was all I had to play with turned cross grain
My view is the neck is a bit out of proportion but everyone that has seen it thinks it suits the form. Sits on three carved feet .After the flowers were drawn on I textured the exposed wood with an engraver giving leather like feel when you pick it up.
This is one of our densest timbers, so that it wasnt heavy it was turned as thin as I dared allowing for the grief I would give the walls when I applied the texture
I placed the platter and 3 other smaller works including this one in the Crawled out of the woodwork Exhibition running at the moment .They all have the flowers etched on them .Kind of neat seeing them sitting together as a series
Comments Welcome
This is a very nice little composition. Although reminiscent of art nouveau pottery, it has a contemporary appearance. Your work is excellent Terry, and I always enjoy your posts.

Andy

Norm ,Andy
Thanks I do find the neck out of proportion ,but like you say perhaps this is more a pottery shape
Thanks for commenting

If you gbo to my web site www.timberly.co.nz there are some more views of this piece
Enjoy
Cheers
Terry

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating