• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
rope vessel
dennis paullus

rope vessel

This a tall spalted maple vessel that had interesting story. A story probably like many of you have had. I turned this really nice piece of spalted maple into a tall end grain vessel and used a shiny oil finish on it to show off the spalting. it was a ok piece but it just didn't pop. I took it back to the shop wanting to do something with it and not knowing what to do . I drew one of my lizards on it and half carved the lizard and then decided I didn't like that. So it sat in the shop for a year or so. it was not working out at all. Some how I got this picture in my head of handles, so after a little sketching i came up with what is now a finished piece. I think it is a more successful piece now and was worth the effort. 14" tall x 8.5" dia , lightly sand blasted , matte finish.
Dennis,
The rope adds an interesting twist to a nice piece of spalted maple. Seems like it took you a long time to make up your mind, but the end result is worth it.

These two materials work well with each other, giving the piece lots of character!

Turning of the Week, 06/06/11
AAW Home Page Photo

thanks you very much Kurt, I am so sorry that the photo is so bad, my friends Mike and Larry are going to help me do better

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
dennis paullus
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device