• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Shrimp Tray
Don Leydens

Shrimp Tray

Sycamore tray/platter. My neighbor brought over some fresh shrimp from the east coast just before I started turning this piece. Guess that's how it turned out like this. It's 10" diameter, finished with Tung oil and Renaissance wax. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
Beautiful wood Don. I'm going to have to find some. I'm wondering how well it will stand up to shrimp and sauce - I'd hate to see that finish ruined.

Hi Hal! I've done similar trays and have been the recipient of numerous amounts of shrimp and sauce. No discoloration or other problems have occurred. There are about 5 coats of tung oil on this, so I think its pretty well sealed. I'll PM you about the wood.
Thanks for commenting, Don L.

Hi Don - I just semi-turned some sycamore, and had to put it away because I couldn't stand the smell. Like band-aids. But you say that the tung oil will stand up to moisture? That's making me rethink my idea that I was going to have to use something else for finishing food trays.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename