• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Tall Cedar Hollow Vase
Don Leydens

Tall Cedar Hollow Vase

This is a Cedar vase that's hollowed all the way through. It's 19" tall X 5.5" dia. at the globe. Figured I'd share this technique I saw in a British turning magazine and thought I'd give it a try.
It was turned into a cylinder and then parted in half just above the globe. The recess for the tenon was formed on the globe and it was then hollowed out. The stem was drilled from both directions and then the tenon was formed to fit in the base and they were glued together. Then it was turned to final shape and the top hole was flared out with the help of a steady rest. The joint was hard to see, but I put the 3 rings there just to make sure. The middle one totally hides the seam.
Lots of fun watching people pick this up and because it's so light, try to figure out how it was done.
Anyway, it was finished with Tung oil and Beall buffed. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename