• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Thuya Burl Capsule Box II
Gabriel Hoff

Thuya Burl Capsule Box II

This box is a smaller version of my original Thuya Burl Capsule Box. Same wood and shape, so I now have a set of two! Turned, hollowed, and finished with wax and gloss lacquer. This particular blank has a nice concentration of burl eyes and colors!
Super nice Gabriel. I assume you use jam chucks to finish off the outside of each half?

Thank you Paul! I actually only use a jam chuck for the bottom. I fit the lid on the base and turn the top tenon off with it being assembled. That way I can get a nice profile before I hollow the bottom.

Another beauty Gabriel! In segmenting, it’s said we have zero/ little waste wood! I love how you show that even the smaller “chunks” of wood can be huge eye grabbers when done with your attention to detail!!

Yes Russ, this blank was about 1.75 inches square so I had to figure out the best shape for such a small box blank! The cylinder shaped boxes look better if they are larger in diameter, so a capsule shape was called for on this one!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device