• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Trilogy of Inspiration - #3
D

Trilogy of Inspiration - #3

Ambrosia Maple suspended form. 5"x11". Walnut top, glued on. Unfortunately I didn't have any Ambrosia Maple let over for the top because originally I was going to leave it an open vessel. Poor planning :-(( The legs are Morceaux I found in Michael's. Doing a Google search the best I could come up with is Morceaux is a Chinese variety of bamboo. It give the piece a certain organic look. I took the advise of one of the commentors and added a piece on top of the lid. More to come.

Comments and critque are welcome as always
Well, I guess nobody likes it since there are no comments. Glowing comments are nice, but in many ways I am more interested in critical evaluations. That is what makes us better turners. I have thick skin so let me know.

I will give you a critical evaluation, since you specifically asked. But keep in mind that I spent way too much time in art school and not nearly enough time at the lathe...

The turned form is well executed, but the "elongated acorn" isn't my favorite. My mind sees it and says "acorn," expecially with the shades of the particular woods you used. The problem, for me, though, is that the distortion of the familiar form is in that area between "close enough to an acorn" and "I'm stretching an acorn." It feels haphazard rather than intentional. I would like to see it either very close to an acorn, only slightly off-scale in one direction, or a little more extremely distorted so that we know you are distorting an acorn and not happening upon a form that resembles one.

The Morceaux legs feel heavy-handed to me. I like the repeated 1 long and 2 short pattern, but the interface between the Morceaux and the turned form feels like it was almost ignored - like some sticks glued on the side.

Look at this piece and this piece by James E Gaydos. In the first, the pins are a deliberate joining of leg to vessel, and the carved bamboo leaves connect with the charred bamboo legs. In the second, the joinery between the legs and the ring is subtle but specific, and the "bowl" has a ledge that mates with the ring. In this one, the colors and the inward curve of the legs unify the vessel and the legs.

Or, in Mike Gibson's High Tea, the two places where the handle joins the teapot reflect the considerable attention given to these interfaces.

It looks like some attention was given to where the handle meets the lid, but not so much where the legs meet the body.

My biggest complaint about the legs, though, is that they detract from, rather than adding to, the form. They create very strong vertical lines that keep the eye moving past the turned form rather than bringing the eye to it.

If you look at the shape of the legs in Gaydos's second piece, the lowest part of the legs form a triangle pointing to the form, and the top curves around to dead-end into the form - all this forces the eye to the vessel.

---

All this is offered as _constructive_ criticism. Overall it's a well-executed piece and I look forward to the day when I can turn that well.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dick Wilson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device