• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Twisted and Turned I
Gabriel Hoff

Twisted and Turned I

This six point ornament is figured maple and African Blackwood. Size is approx. 6 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide. This ornament is number one in the series. More will be coming!
Very interesting, Gabriel. I like it. Maybe a little color(s) on the edges ..... textures & more! :D

Hi Gabriel, this is a very nice and interesting form that I'd like to try (been turning for about a year and a half).
I'm struggling to figure out the process. Could you help me understand the steps?
I'm guessing I'd look to implement by doing something like what follows, but I suspect I'm way off the mark....
A) get to a spindle form with tenons on each end.
B) turn out one end ("egg cup") and then turn out the middle section between the opposing "egg cups".
C) but now I'm puzzled as to how you hold the work to turn out the other "egg cup".
D) after getting the opposing "egg cups" turned, need to saw off parts of the wings (3 cuts per cup, with the 45 deg offset between cups. Once again I struggle to figure out safe work holding for a bandsaw (or otherwise).

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you
Chris

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating