• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut crotch platter with feather grain
R

Walnut crotch platter with feather grain

This one disappointed me somewhat because the voids and the cracks went all the way through and could not be turned completely out. My wife likes it however!

I have to refinish this as well, because it was so hot in my shop today that the Woodturners Finish [WTF] did not allow me enough open time to smooth the finish out like I needed....I will fix this on a cooler day.

This is 12.5 inches in diameter.
Roger-

Did you think about using coffee grounds to fill the voids and cracks in thid beautiful piece.

Gary

Another approach to filling the cracks and voids is to fill them with clear epoxy. This creates an obvious looking patch, but an obvious patch sometimes looks much better than other methods that comes off as a failed attempt to hide a flaw.......something to think about.

The epoxy sands out very well, and is strong and durable.......

This particular piece would be, in my opinion, a good candidate for the epoxy filler........

ooc

Thanks Gary and thanks Odie.........I am aware of the fillers.....I almost took brass key shavings and filled the cracks, but decided to leave it like it was.........don't know if that was a mistake or not, but I will use them another time on something with a bigger need than this platter.

Thanks for taking the time to look and to comment!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Roger Chandler
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device