• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Whitened White Ash bowl
Marc Banka

Whitened White Ash bowl

10 x 4 inches, 1st turned in September ‘21
My goal, on this piece was to keep the ash as bright as I could.
Whitened with two part wood bleach, then finished with shellac, a one pound cut of ultra blonde shellac flakes and DNA. Brushed it on and sanded back, three coats. Not sure if it should have a top coat of varnish, or wax. Its fine, for now
@Alan Weinberg Thanks for that input, which is kind of my thinking too. I gave it a coat of renaissance wax last evening. Not protective for food service, but hope it’ll hold up to handling and other light duties.
The project was getting long- I made an end to it!

@David Bartell Well, that’s just the nicest, kindest comment ever. Thank you!

Beautiful form, bleached finish, and photo. Doesn't get any better than this, Marc. What is that dark mark on the rim (LH side) .... doesn't look like a shadow? Have you ever tried any of the Krylon spray products? They don't add any color but will add protection and can be scuffed, buffed, etc. Downside - the odor really bothers me.

@Tom Gall Thanks for your kind comment. That is indeed a shadow line. The rim is quite white.
I haven’t tried any of these, but will investigate soon.

Acrylic lacquer is the only finish that won't yellow with age, but the wood will still darken over time with exposure to UV light. However, any amount of gloss in a finish will make the wood appear darker because light scattering is reduced. I would be tempted to try a wash coat of titanium white artist acrylic as a pickling stain and then flat acrylic lacquer as a protective topcoat.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Marc Banka
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename