• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Aaw symposium lineup.

Did anyone else think this years lineup was not worth buying into the symposium event, or has it just been the Covid lockdown giving us an endless list of $10.00 events to attend and getting spoiled. I know I’ve cherry picked so many demos this year on things I wanted to see and then when they put together an event trying to please everyone, to me it just did not add up to buying into the event for $45 just to see one or two demos.

I myself thought the lineup was OK but I have seen over a hundred demos on line since this pandemic started. I persoally don't go to symposiums anymore for the demos, more to meet up with friends. I'm glad all the symposiums were canceled this year as the spread of the virus needed to be observed. I've had my shots but I won't go to SWAT as I think it is still to early and saw nothing about making sure all have had their shots. I wish things were different but we now live in a new normal and I will adjust to it. There is supposed to be another AAW Online Symposium this fall and maybe by then I'll rethink. You know these online demos are actually better than being there as far as learning goes as you see so much more than sitting 10 rows back watching a 55" TV. Lots of wishy washy in this statement but it's where I'm at :)

I want to support the AAW. Was the price of admission worth it? I learned a few new techniques and got a review of some I'd forgotten,
hailed a few folks I hadn't seen in a while and bought a tool I'd been waffling about. For a few weeks I'll be able to pull up vids and jump to the portion I want to watch, then move on. Not sure I'd go to a full fledged symposium unless it was in my back yard. So, for me anyway, while not perfect, I'd still give it a thumbs up.
I believe hybrid type symposiums are our future and we are in the growing stages, so I do cut a little slack for the behind-the-scene folks.
A lot of hard, thankless hours go into putting on this kind of event...

Last edited:
I was good with it for the price. I haven’t watched all yet, but plan to do so. Several I’ll re-watch such as the SB demo he provided a lot \ in a short amount of time.

Just went to the main site. How do you access the replay demos?

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I was happy with the content for the price. One thing you don't get from the "endless list of $10.00 events" is the panel discussions. Not exciting or headliner material to me, but I sorta forced myself to listen in to several, knowing there'd be something to learn that I couldn't get from "yet another demo" (and that was true, for me).

While the hopin platform wasn't great, I think it worked better than what they did with zoom last year.

Admittedly I'm new (< one year experience) but for my needs found the content and vendor discounts well worth the $45. I saved that much in "needed" tool purchases alone. I realize many of you are much further on in your turning evolution. Regardless for me, the AAW is nonprofit and my understanding is a lot of folks busted their rears to make the Symposium happen so I'm happy to support.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
I thought it was good value. The sessions were meaningful. We supported the AAW, which needs our continued support to do what they do for us.
I suspect we all realize the $10 events are loss leaders to break into a new market.
Overall a good weekend spent on line, and expectation of even more info when the replays are available.

I thought the balance of demos was good, the panel discussions provided lots of food for thought. When we went to our one and only national in Minneapolis both my wife and I were over whelmed with input and ran around like chicken's with our head's cut off worrying we'd miss something. This was perfect for our temperment AND we can watch it again and again for a bit. Kudos to Jeff Hornung and Rebecca DeGroot, we thought their interaction and demo was really smooth and fun to watch.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
My opinion, it was pretty darn good. I didn't spend my Covid isolation watching a lot of online demos/webinars, so I didn't approach this Virtual Symposium with burn-out, or already having seen many too many. Other than the 2020 Virtual Symposium, Laurent Niclot was the only online demo/webinar I watched. I gladly spent mine time creating new work without any interruptions.

Like had been pointed out previously, the ability to see what you cannot during a live demo is a big plus for me; being able to back up and view it multiple times to analyze and commit to memory is important to being able to 'do' what you saw demonstrated. I always enjoy the panel discussions at the AAW Symposium, and this year's was just as good as all the previous ones.

I watched Rebecca DeGroot's demo for one reason - to see what was involved in adding the use of resin in your work. After watching it, I decided that it wasn't something I would do in my future work. So for me, it was worth it to see someone who spent the time experimenting - and failing - to get the successful results desired. And she showed the failures, because it is important in the learning/teaching process. And Rebecca's demo was excellent! She and her moderator, Jeff Hornung were the perfect pairing of humor and education. Jeff seemed to anticipate what Rebecca would need and have the link, website, name, etc. sometimes before she asked him for it. If you didn't see the demo, I highly recommend it.

I visited the Trade Show, popped in on Joe Fleming's live session on airbrushing, bought a Cindy Drozda magnetic LED light, bought a tool from MDI Woodcarver's supply, and noticed they carry a new micro-motor carver that has a handpiece with a 1/4" capacity shank!!! Putting that on my Christmas list this year.

I missed the personal contact - don't we all? But it will make next year's Symposium in TN all the more special.

I was OK with the price. I am new to turning so I probably didn't get as much as a more experienced turner. But I did learn how to do some things that I wasn't sure about. I have done a little casting for pen blanks so Rebecca DeGroot' session was extremely interesting. And I loved the segmenting session (can't remember who that was) at the end of Sunday. My biggest complaint as a new turner I wish there had been more for beginning turners. How to's on bowl and spindle making from the start, selection of wood, etc. The Pen turner symposium a few months ago had alot of that. But I am still happy because I still learned stuff.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I only watched half of one demo by Stewart Batty. I think it was easily worth the money. I will definitely be watching the rest of the demos when they are available. I simply had too many things to do this weekend that were deadlined. Actually I was demoing myself on Saturday for the Chattanooga wood turners so that ate up most of the day. I have seen most all of those people demo, some several times. However I always pick up a little tip that I probably missed when I saw them the first time. Or at my age just probably forgot.

I'm still chafing at not being able to attend in my back yard; however I thought it was great! Having a skilled assistant on hand to screen questions got so many more relevant questions answered than would have happened on site. Being able to go back and review and view missed sessions is a real plus.

This weekend was entirely too full for me so I didn't sign up. Kinda wish I had so I could catch up afterwards.

I'm looking forward to attending my first in-person (turning) event. Though I'm sure the multiple video angles online is much better for learning.

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
my thoughts:
  • too may pre-recorded sessions.
    • even the ones where they talked live over the video didn't do it for me. I want to be able to ask a question and have them show me a response. I can see pre-recorded on youtube anytime.
  • too many things we have already seen
    • pens, hats, 40/40 grind.....all the offerings from previous symposiums ( the tips and tricks video was filmed at the Raleigh symposium in 2019)
    • I know this is a problem for all clubs....hey, I'm trying to schedule demos for my local
  • My biggest take away....I'll gladly GO to a symposium as a summer vacation and spend time indoors watching demos and socializing. But if the symposium is going to be virtual...make it in the fall or winter when I don't mind being inside staring at a screen. just my opinion.

Last edited:

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
You raise a very good point. I, too gladly spend the money and time to attend the AAW Symposium, no matter where it is. It's the vacation I WANT to take. And having a Virtual Symposium at a time when there are fewer distractions - like what we have in the summer - might be a really good idea. Perhaps that is something that could become a real thing down the road?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
too many things we have already seen
  • pens, hats, 40/40 grind.....all the offerings from previous symposiums ( the tips and tricks video was filmed at the Raleigh symposium in 2019)
Good point. with just a handful of demo slots the organizers had to go with topics that have wide appeal.
often regional symposiums have a similar issue Because of the limited number of demo slots.

the Real AAW is large enough to include esoteric topics. a topic appealing to 5% can fill a room at the AAW.
5% at a regional is a poor use of a room

my thoughts:
  • too may pre-recorded sessions.
    • even the ones where they talked live over the video didn't do it for me. I want to be able to ask a question and have them show me a response. I can see pre-recorded on youtube anytime.
  • too many things we have already seen
    • I know this is a problem for all clubs....hey, I'm trying to schedule demos for my local
  • My biggest take away....I'll gladly GO to a symposium as a summer vacation and spend time indoors watching demos and socializing. But if the symposium is going to be virtual...may it in the fall or winter when I don't mind being inside staring at a screen. just my opinion.
Good points. I believe that is why I did not attend. When I went through the events everything was for the newcomer or the masses, and because I’m more than a beginner turner I’ve seen most of these before. And for one to even be prerecorded two years ago. With a virtual event it is all about the content. Not much about, meeting your fellow turners, old friends etc. It just needed more content. Like a beginner demo at 9 am, and also an advanced, never before seen technique, at the same time. I watched a virtual weekend event last year for woodturning from a different company. It was like that. Overloaded with content at the same times, so it pleased everyone at all levels.

I wonder if it was set up in categories. Air brushing, carving, jigs, dry brushing, etc , etc.

Last edited:
I'll reserve my "full review" until I've had a chance to watch the replays. The availability of the replays is the primary reason I signed up. I watched a bit "live", but things got in the way.

One thing I will comment on - IMO virtual is something that needs to continue. I haven't been to a symposium, and may never go to one, for one reason - cost. Attending a symposium is very expensive. Being able to get the content for $45 is more my style. Some stated they like the live events to socialize. I'm no introvert, but that's a lot of $ to socialize.

My experience with "shows" and demo events is some really interest you and some don't, but you don't know until you are there and see part of it. With virtual and replay, it's easy to watch a bit and move on, and you haven't missed a different one that was scheduled at the same time.

Are the symposium videos only available for short period of time? Just wondering if AAW could bring in som extra cash (for them and the demonstrators) by offering the archived videos on a pay per view basis similar to what Trent Bosch is doing at https://virtualwoodturningdemos.com/archived-demos/. I might pay to see a couple videos later in winter when I’m not outside working so much.

Are the symposium videos only available for short period of time? Just wondering if AAW could bring in som extra cash (for them and the demonstrators) by offering the archived videos on a pay per view basis similar to what Trent Bosch is doing at https://virtualwoodturningdemos.com/archived-demos/. I might pay to see a couple videos later in winter when I’m not outside working so much.
I emailed Kim Rymer the week before to ask that and she said they will be available for about three weeks, once made available. I think that is in the control of whoever did the hosting. I wanted to see a few but was teaching on Saturday for our guild and summers in Ontario are just too short to sit and watch videos. I have enjoyed as have others many of the Zoom presentations from various sources including a couple of the AAW sessions I paid for. I have attended and thoroughly enjoyed three AAW Symposiums but have my doubts that I will attend any more, but will continue to take in the odd Zoom presentation when it fits into my activities at the time. Edit - Just looked at Woodturner.org and replays will be available until August 9th.

Last edited:
This weekend was entirely too full for me so I didn't sign up. Kinda wish I had so I could catch up afterwards.

I'm looking forward to attending my first in-person (turning) event. Though I'm sure the multiple video angles online is much better for learning.
I so agree on the angles of vision on the online demos. Unless you are the first One up to the lathe with your head blocking everybody else’s line of view. The online videos give you much more viewing angles and you can always rewind and watch again,

For me there were only a small number of sessions that I wanted to watch, and of course two of them were during the same time slot, so I'm looking forward to the reruns. I've seen a lot of these demos already -- there seems to be a lot of repeats, but there's always something new to learn, something that I missed last time, or an opportunity to review. The price of admission wasn't too bad; certainly better than a trip to a live symposium. I appreciate the volunteers who put this together.

And after purchasing some tools just before the start of the demos I received news today that I won Trent's contest! I haven't won anything in a very long time. Thanks, Trent!

I was a little disappointed in the ease of navigation , but even that got easier with use. Demos were easy to change between the two ongoing. Vendor area had a lot of things hidden.

It would be nice to have vendor demos listed along with the regular demos. Also all the links the demonstrators put up in chat are gone so some kind of tag or export of that info would be very beneficial for most people.

I was a little disappointed in the ease of navigation , but even that got easier with use. Demos were easy to change between the two ongoing. Vendor area had a lot of things hidden.

It would be nice to have vendor demos listed along with the regular demos. Also all the links the demonstrators put up in chat are gone so some kind of tag or export of that info would be very beneficial for most people.
I found navigation needlessly difficult due to the fragmentation of links. It was easy to move between demos, but that was about it. I agree that vendor demos should have been listed with regular demos. Why were demos listed separately from 'sessions', and those from other things such as the vendor demos? A simple grid presentation of everything, with clickable links to any given listing, would have made it clearer what was going on at a given moment, and easier getting there. There was no simple SINGLE screen overall summary of events -- at least that I could find. I think the platform, at least as implemented, resulted needlessly fragmented portal.

I made a couple attempts to look at the vendor area and quickly gave up. Finding entry to the vendor area confusing meant that I didn't look further and bought nothing as a result. Surely not what vendors wanted me to do. It could have been easier to navigate. There was nothing which I thought in advance I "had" to buy -- partially since some vendors from whom I most likely would have bought apparently did not participate. Finding the vendor area aggravating meant that I stayed away. It certainly made the weekend cheaper for me! Total expense was the registration fee.

Rebecca DeGroot's demo was probably the main reason I signed up at all. Her demo was excellent. There were enough other presentations of some potential interest that I figured $45 was acceptable, also since things could be watched later. I think I got value for money from the demos.

I missed the one vendor demo I had meant to watch, because I didn't realize it was simultaneous with a turning demo I wanted to see. Again -- lack of a clear single screen summary of events, with simultaneous events listed side by side, or at least together.

I am much more likely to 'attend' virtual symposia, now having attended several. As is frequently remarked, generally you get a far better view of what is being demonstrated. Not to mention the expense! I had my fill of huge meetings during my academic career.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com

Tom,

Reach out to the AAW. Maybe you can still pay the $45 and get access to the recordings. The ones I did attend definitely made the expense worthwhile. And I got the eMail yesterday and am looking forward to seeing the ones I could not attend. I like this format, and even when I physically attend one in the future, it would be great to have the option to watch ones I couldn't attend.

Kind regards,
Rich

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
The QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo is the best experience I've had. It really made the virtual experience very much like being there in person.

It would be great if the AAW one were like it.

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
I thought that it was reasonably good for the money. I didn't get to watch all of the demos that I wanted to see, but at least they will be available to watch later.

I want to support the AAW. Was the price of admission worth it? I learned a few new techniques and got a review of some I'd forgotten,
hailed a few folks I hadn't seen in a while and bought a tool I'd been waffling about. For a few weeks I'll be able to pull up vids and jump to the portion I want to watch, then move on. Not sure I'd go to a full fledged symposium unless it was in my back yard. So, for me anyway, while not perfect, I'd still give it a thumbs up.
I believe hybrid type symposiums are our future and we are in the growing stages, so I do cut a little slack for the behind-the-scene folks.
A lot of hard, thankless hours go into putting on this kind of event...

I thought it was good value. The sessions were meaningful. We supported the AAW, which needs our continued support to do what they do for us.
I suspect we all realize the $10 events are loss leaders to break into a new market.
Overall a good weekend spent on line, and expectation of even more info when the replays are available.

All paid attendees are suppose to get an email from AAW when the replay demo videos are published online..."in a week or two:.

I'll reserve my "full review" until I've had a chance to watch the replays. The availability of the replays is the primary reason I signed up. I watched a bit "live", but things got in the way.

One thing I will comment on - IMO virtual is something that needs to continue. I haven't been to a symposium, and may never go to one, for one reason - cost. Attending a symposium is very expensive. Being able to get the content for $45 is more my style. Some stated they like the live events to socialize. I'm no introvert, but that's a lot of $ to socialize.

My experience with "shows" and demo events is some really interest you and some don't, but you don't know until you are there and see part of it. With virtual and replay, it's easy to watch a bit and move on, and you haven't missed a different one that was scheduled at the same time.

I emailed Kim Rymer the week before to ask that and she said they will be available for about three weeks, once made available. I think that is in the control of whoever did the hosting. I wanted to see a few but was teaching on Saturday for our guild and summers in Ontario are just too short to sit and watch videos. I have enjoyed as have others many of the Zoom presentations from various sources including a couple of the AAW sessions I paid for. I have attended and thoroughly enjoyed three AAW Symposiums but have my doubts that I will attend any more, but will continue to take in the odd Zoom presentation when it fits into my activities at the time. Edit - Just looked at Woodturner.org and replays will be available until August 9th.

Just checked out the post-symposium info page, and it looks like some of the demo replay-recordings are up and running. I'm told that this link will only work for those who have paid the virtual symposium entry fee: https://community.woodturner.org/2021-aaw-virtual-symposium-replay--handouts

Hi Bill Boehme, Clifton C, taxman, Ed Davidson, Doug Freeman, and Mike Brazeau:

Registered Virtual Symposium attendees have access to replays of all featured demonstrations, panel discussions, vendor demonstrations, and most special interest sessions through Monday, August 9, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. We sent the email with the link out yesterday, July 21. If you missed the email, the link is: https://community.woodturner.org/2021-aaw-virtual-symposium-replay--handouts (you will need to sign in to the AAW website with your username and password.)

Cheers!
Kim

Hi Bill:

Registered Virtual Symposium attendees have access to replays of all featured demonstrations, panel discussions, vendor demonstrations, and most special interest sessions through Monday, August 9, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. We sent the email with the link out yesterday, July 21. If you missed the email, the link is: https://community.woodturner.org/2021-aaw-virtual-symposium-replay--handouts (you will need to sign in to the AAW website with your username and password.)

Cheers!
Kim
Kim, Is the August 9th viewing cutoff in a contract with the demonstrators, or a limitation with the hosting service? The cutoff is rather short for people busy with summer activities. This the main reason some of us didn’t sign up for the virtual symposium this go around. Suggest AAW consider making this videos, slides, pics and handouts available longer if that’s possible.

Posting tip. One of your responses above would have sufficed. You can reference multiple individuals by typing an @ symbol followed by their name. Like this: @Kim Rymer, @Karl Loeblein

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Kim, Is the August 9th viewing cutoff in a contract with the demonstrators, or a limitation with the hosting service? The cutoff is rather short for people busy with summer activities. This the main reason some of us didn’t sign up for the virtual symposium this go around. Suggest AAW consider making this videos, slides, pics and handouts available longer if that’s possible.

Posting tip. One of your responses above would have sufficed. You can reference multiple individuals by typing an @ symbol followed by their name. Like this: @Kim Rymer, @Karl Loeblein

@Karl Loeblein, the cost of hosting the replays on Vimeo might possibly also be a factor.

I had the same thought as you about the repetitions so I merged all of the posts into a single post.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
would it not be possible for individuals that paid the fee to download/save the videos for personal use? (I.E. not to be uploaded or shared/public performance, etc) Just a thought..

Vimeo, YouTube, and others don't allow copying videos hosted on their websites because that would violate copyright law. There is no personal use provision in US copyright laws and while most people are honest there are more than enough people who would distribute copyrighted works without permission.

would it not be possible for individuals that paid the fee to download/save the videos for personal use? (I.E. not to be uploaded or shared/public performance, etc) Just a thought..
Anything that can be downloaded can then be further distributed, so not at all secure.

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff

@Karl Loeblein @Bill Boehme

The 2021 Virtual Symposium contracts for demonstrators/panelists specify that the replays will be available for three weeks.

Many of our demonstrators/presenters livelihoods depend on demonstrations/presentations they deliver, classes (live and online) they hold, as well as videos and books they sell. Some believe our offering the replays for a longer period (or forever) would be damaging to them financially.

We've worked to develop contracts that are equitable for demonstrators/presenters and AAW alike. Without our valued demonstrators/presenters, AAW would not be able to host events.

That said, AAW is continually reviewing it's offerings to better meet the needs of members so it is possible that some videos may be available for a longer period of time in the future.

Not suggesting anyone break a laws by posting someone else’s copyrighted material Here. It’s hard for many demonstrators to make a living woodturning so please pay to see a demonstrator whenever possible.

Having said that… It is widely known by gamers that anything that can be seen can also be recorded. Windows 10 provides a free utility for doing this exact this. It’s called the Window’s Game Bar and can be brought up by click Windows key + g. Just know your computer must have a decent video capability (video card) for this to work. If the other bothers anyone’s conscience then only use Window’s Game Bar to capture only non-copyrighted material Like club meetings on zoom where demonstrators allow such recording.

@Kim Rymer, If there was a pay per view fee was charged fee, like Trent Bosch is doing, then those funds could be split with the demonstrator. This would help support AAW and the demonstrator. Some demonstrators (I.e. retired) might even offer up a demo without any cost sharing in order to help bring in some funds for AAW.

All macs , iPhones, iPads etc. Have a screen recording button in the top menu. Anything playing on your screen can be recorded. You just have to be there to start and stop the recording.

that’s why some demonstrators only do live events and don’t allow cameras of any kind. It is so easy once some one has a recording, to distribute it, and effect there revenue stream.

Back