• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Another tool mystery

I bought this tool from. a friend who got it from a turner who was no longer able to turn. I know the handle is Glaser, but he said the original owner replaced the gouge since he liked the handle, but did not know the replacement. It is deep flute outside diameter is 5/8” and flute width is 3/8”. It appears to be PM (V10) material, but does not have the Thompson name. It has a deep flute as can be seen in the last picture. I suspect it might be a signature gouge and not sure if Thompson marks those. As I received it, appears to be ground concave instead of convex that is not desirable.

tempImageBJs4Fc.pngtempImageVrRVXI.png7F4700F9-685A-4A3A-8679-AC8CA6E33E11_4_5005_c.jpeg

Whatever it is, the grind needs to be improved. You don't want the side radius like that, it needs to be convex. Kind of reminds me of K&H gouge, but I don't think they made anything that lightweight.

I would call it a V groove. Here is the ends compared to my Thompson 5/8”. Since the flute is shallow it could be some type of bottom of bowl gouge. Al may be right as a spindle gouge. Here are the end views compared to my Thompson 5/8”.

827951C8-7683-4628-A7DA-22A9E8B6BAA9_1_201_a.jpeg

tempImageXeELsV.png

William: Doug Thompson makes a 1-1/4” SRG with a 3/4” round tang Carter and sons also makes an SRG with a round tang. The gouge in question looks like a BOB gouge.

Timothy, I don’t have any roughing gouges that big. My guess is the same that it is a BOB gouge. I have a cedar bowl mon the lathe I will try as that. Took me a while to straighten the grind out.

Emiliano I believe you are right as that was my thought. I will double check when I go down to the shop later.

Emiliano I believe you are right as that was my thought. I will double check when I go down to the shop later.
Thanks Bill, Looking forward to what you determine.

I still wasn’t happy with the grind. The tool was epoxied into the 20” lead filled handle and it was impossible for me to hold it in the jig. Got the torch out and removed the tool. The end was ground similar to my other Thompson tools. Much easier to grind without that long lead filled handle. I’ll put this tool in my 16” Thompson handle and put my regular 5/8” bowl gouge in this Glaser handle as that will be a much better match.

EDIT: It had a 60 degree angle that I repeated. What would be the best angle for a BOB gouge?

Last edited:
  1. None of my BOB tools have the lasered "Thompson" on them.
  2. Holding the tool vertically I get 40 degrees off the vertical that has the grind from Doug.
  3. It is a straight grind (like a SRG)
  4. On the one I ground I am about 20 degrees off vertical which will do a great job on the transition from side to bottom.
  5. When I hold my tool to the one on the screen it matches almost or is exactly the same but your .394 measurement is closer to .500 on mine and the .176 measurement is about the same.
With all of that it could very well be a Thompson and that is my best guess. I don't know why anyone would grind it like that in the photo because it is more of a U shape and wings on a U shape do not work well. Hope this helps.

The grind angle for BOB tools varies. I have most of mine ground to 70 degrees as they will get through fairly sharp transition angles. I have a couple of 60 degree ones. I think Glenn Lucas has a 50 degree 'all purpose' gouge.

robo hippy

Thanks Emiliano, Bill, and Robo for the help

Ok I tried it today and works well as a BOB gouge. I’ll need to get use to the angle, but more bowls more practice. This is a picture of the current grind. From you comments Bill, it may have too much wing, but I had to do this grind to remove the concave. So I’m thinking I need to put less wing on it or is this grind ok?

5C766D95-CD2A-49A0-B985-56C1DC314B87_1_201_a.jpeg

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thanks Emiliano, Bill, and Robo for the help

Ok I tried it today and works well as a BOB gouge. I’ll need to get use to the angle, but more bowls more practice. This is a picture of the current grind. From you comments Bill, it may have too much wing, but I had to do this grind to remove the concave. So I’m thinking I need to put less wing on it or is this grind ok?

View attachment 39523
Like @Bill Blasic said, think SRG. I’m sure that grind works, but it is not the intended grind and or use for that gouge. Thank you Bill for correctly identifying the gouge. I have mine at 60, anything after 60 becomes grubby.

I’ll get the grind more to the right shape as I sharpen. This was to fix the concave. I’m going to stick with 60 degree angle for now. Need more practice before any change is made.

The tool in the picture with Thomson on it is not the tool in question its the other one. And it still bugs me as to the finish on the one in question. I have never seen a Thompson tool with a finish that looks like lacquer. All Thompson tools that I have handled (and that is many thousands) have a finish like the gouge in the photo. That is why I did not unequivocally state for sure that it is a Thompson.

The tool in the picture with Thomson on it is not the tool in question its the other one. And it still bugs me as to the finish on the one in question. I have never seen a Thompson tool with a finish that looks like lacquer. All Thompson tools that I have handled (and that is many thousands) have a finish like the gouge in the photo. That is why I did not unequivocally state for sure that it is a Thompson.
Let me look when I get to the shop as the lacquer may have been from refinishing the handle. I don’t remember the business end looking like lacquer.

The lacquer finish stops at the beginning of the flute. I’m not sure what the diameter of the Glaser Tools were and was told he had the handle bored out. Too much heat to remove the original tool may have affected the finish and he just refinished that area. I don’t think we can put a lot of stock in the lacquer finish. Everything about this says Thompson except the 0.394 dimension and that could simply be a design change or some “signature” BOB too.

B9A72D8C-E2E3-473F-94B1-C3BD97ED40AA_1_201_a.jpeg

5D132DDC-AD8C-43DE-841B-D94CD8D48099_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
If you zoom in on the tool in question you can make out the "HOMPS" of THOMPSON. Here is a crop of it that I zoomed in and rotated (it's upside down in the original photo).
I’m thinking no way that you could see that! Bill B said his BOB were not etched. I went out to the shop and used a small wire brush in my micro motor and WOW, you are correct. Thompson 10V revealed. 100% confirmed Thompson. Need to get that cataract surgery done.

956C8598-75C1-433A-8682-9EEFF98D4DA0_1_201_a.jpeg

Website
www.studiocsh.com
William, Thompson does make a 5/8" spindle roughing gouge, which I believe was previously marketed as a "Mark St. Leger signature tool." I think what you have is one of these that someone got a hold of and tried to put a bowl gouge grind on it instead. I have a small SRG from D-way, and the side profile of it looks identical to the photo you posted earlier.

Back