• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw problem

Having a problem with my bandsaw and would like to see what diagnosis can be arrived at. Have a Grizzly GO555 with riser. It has a 1hp 110 motor. Has been working well cutting blanks from pecan about 6 inch thick . The last two the saw will slow and or totally stop in cut. Then the blade is stuck in wood.
Either I am asking more than this 20 plus year old saw will deliver (but it has before) or something wrong with motor. Running 1/2 inch 3tpi.
Any Ideas

I'm going to guess here with a couple of questions- Sharpen blade? Feeding too fast (I tend to do this)? Blade tension too loose and stalls/slips? I cut pecan on my BS but no more than 1-1/2 inch thick. This is with a finer tooth blade, not one like yours.

What pulley do you have the belt in, high speed or low speed set? Also your blade might not have enough set to the teeth to keep the kerf open especially with green wood that has tension in it. I have the same saw, run it with the low speed pulley set for torque and with a similar blade can cut blanks nearly 12 inches thick. Another detail is to check the line voltage, especially while cutting. Any significant drop will lose a lot of horsepower.

Well if a voltage check under load proves good and the drop to low speed on the pulleys dont help theres a half a chance of motor problems unless a pulley is slipping on a shaft. Have you tried another species of wood to see if its just difficult wood? Did this just start happening with the new blade?
Did not think about the pulley slipping . It has a key and maybeee it is a problem . Will have to check tomorrow. Was doing this with the old blade too.

Hope your guide rollers havent taken the set out of the blade teeth. Grizzlys original guide set was slightly prone to allow the blade to slip by the rear bearing and smash the teeth. I changed mine out for a Carter guide set, so much easier to set and keep set.

I notice the upper back bearing is allowing that to happen. Is the Carter bearing larger?

The Carter bearing is mounted at right angle to the way the Grizzly bearing is, allowing the blade to run on the outer race instead of grazing the face. Less scrubbing and more stable. Adjustments are easier too, well worth the upgrade. If indeed the blade slipped past the back bearing the tooth set was likely ruined and thats causing the binding. You should be able to tell simply by feeling the blade, see how flat it is compared to a new one.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you don't have Mark Duginski's "Band Saw Handbook "you need to get and read it ASAP. The number of potential problems is quite a long list, but using a methodical approach you should be able to find the cause of the problem in short order. A number of things come to mind:
  • A lot of very good suggestions so far.
  • The first thing I would suspect is that it stopped because the blade twisted in the wood. There are many reasons why that would happen. Most likely is the guides aren't set correctly. Worst case would be a cracked casting allowed the frame to flex.
  • If the motor has a run capacitor (two lumps on the motor) or less common would be a start/run capacitor (no centrifugal switch) then a bad run capacitor or start/run capacitor could be the problem. Assuming that the saw quickly comes up to speed under no-load conditions then I would NOT suspect a problem with the start capacitor.
  • A new blade can be defective. I had one with a crooked weld.
  • Your saw is 20 years old and how many times have you replaced the tires? If the answer is never that may be the answer.
  • Also, the V-belts might be worn out. A bell runs on the sidewalls. If it worn out it will run on the bottom and slip and often cause the pulley to get very hot.
  • Motors are very reliable, but they can die. Losing power and running very hot are two symptoms of a dying motor.
  • FWIW, I prefer Cool Blocks to bearings for blade guides. You can substitute a hard oily tropical wood for the Cool Blocks.
  • What you really need is a new high power steel frame fire breathing bad boy bandsaw..

I like the slipping wheel tire theory but it may be too optimistic. I had similar symptoms with my jet with riser blocks. Jet tech support recommended replacing the motor. That solution worked. A friend also had similar situation. He changed the capacitor but cleaned the motor of all caked in saw dust and he was fine. You can also check if there is an electric motor repair shop near you to determine the economics of a repair. You may also want to call Grizzly. Good luck.

Last edited:
Gerald , I had a similar problem with my Rikon and it turned out to be the run capacitor. My saw would take longer at start up to get to full speed and took me a while to notice the difference. Run through your check list of mechanical things, bearings ,tension, blade. Is the wood wet or dry?

The Carter bearing is mounted at right angle to the way the Grizzly bearing is, allowing the blade to run on the outer race instead of grazing the face. Less scrubbing and more stable. Adjustments are easier too, well worth the upgrade. If indeed the blade slipped past the back bearing the tooth set was likely ruined and thats causing the binding. You should be able to tell simply by feeling the blade, see how flat it is compared to a new one.

I will check some other things, but I think the bearing allowing the blade to slip and flatten teeth is the answer. It starts an runs fine and will cut a 3/4 board fine. Where the problem is almost immediately is on a 6 inch green wood. The new blade cut for about 2-3 inches when first put on then slowed and finally after slowing and moving forward very slowly a full stop and the blade was stuck in the wood totally. Had to chop it out. I will check the pulley and capicitor. I actually had one on compressor with wire burned off but it would not run at all. Thanks for all the answers fellows . I will post back the result when I get parts and new blade.

Well, dull teeth are a major problem, and kind of like sand paper, I want to get all I can.... Try cutting another piece of wood and see how it does. As for blades, the Lennox Bimetal Diemaster is the best blade out there... The teeth are M42 HSS, the stuff they use for pallet cutting blades. Most 3 tpi blades can be sharpened a few times...

robo hippy

Gary you were dead on . Apparently the last time the bearings were adjusted the back bearing was turned too far forward and the front one then also pushed forward. So this allowed the blade to slip past the back bearing and flattened the set. I used pliers to put a simbalence of set back in the blade and shifted the bearing and VIOLA it works. Just ordered the Carter update set from Rockler and got that 15% off so today was a winner.
Thanks to all for your assistance. It is always good to have the participation we have here and the sharing that turners are willing to come forward for .

Pecan is sort of mtn....trouble on band saw.....wait till u get it on lathe.....1st attempt do not viedo

Pecan is sort of mtn....trouble on band saw.....wait till u get it on lathe.....1st attempt do not viedo

Charlie I have been turning pecan for quite a while and I agree it is nothing to take for granted and I probably sharpen at least 10 times on a piece this size. Have to count it on the one tomorrow. What I really love are the surprises inside ;voids and hollows.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Well I got the Carter bearings installed this morning and the saw runs like it is brand new and zips right thru that pecan. Thanks again to everyone for the advise especially Gary for the bearing advise.
:) Good to know it was just an upside down blade :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
:) Good to know it was just an upside down blade :)

I did that once while bragging on my new bandsaw to a friend. It took a while to figure out why that brand new blade was just burning the wood. Everybody needs to do that once as part of their continuing education.

There's a trick to cut light gage sheet metal with a skil saw by turning the blade backwards (really noisy). I haven't tried it on a bandsaw, but it should work.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Back