• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

BEER at the AAW Symposium

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Those beer aficionados heading to Richmond over the next 48 hours might want to check-out the following web site which gives an overview of various beer-related establishments, etc. to enhance their imbibing experiences in Richmond, in addition to those experiences sought about woodturning:

Go to: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/72

Local Brewery:

The Legend Brewery is located just south of downtown (across the river via the 9th Street bridge) at 321 West 7th Street, and is a regional brewer of a range of craft beers, from various ales and barleywines, as well as a few lagers. See: http://www.legendbrewing.com/
These apparently are available from a number of local sellers, and the Legend products are noted as being a 'must try' while in the area. The Brewery conducts tours each week at 1 pm on Saturdays, which unfortunately is right in the middle of Symposium demonstrations. Although I likely will not go to the brewery, I intend to sample Legend products thoroughly during my stay in Richmond!

Notable Brewpubs/Drinkeries:

The Capital Ale House at 623 East Main Street is also withing "striking distance" from the three main AAW hotels and the Convention Center. This establishment boasts at least 40 taps and an offering of over 200 bottled beers. Go to their web site to get a 'flavor' of what might be expected there...http://www.capitalalehouse.com/index.php ....I also intend to visit this place AT LEAST once while in Richmond!

I am looking forward to meeting many of you at the Symposium, and hope we can tip a few together!!

Cheers!

Rob

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Notable Brewpubs/Drinkeries:

The Capital Ale House at 623 East Main Street is also withing "striking distance" from the three main AAW hotels and the Convention Center. This establishment boasts at least 40 taps and an offering of over 200 bottled beers. Go to their web site to get a 'flavor' of what might be expected there...http://www.capitalalehouse.com/index.php ....I also intend to visit this place AT LEAST once while in Richmond!

I saw somewhere that there is a meeting at the Capital Ale House on Thursday at 5pm? Is that still on?
(Don't have a car, so it has to be within walking distance)

Last edited:
What does this have to do with woodturning? In my opinion, it has no place on this forum. - John

It has absolutely nothing to do with woodturning.

But it has everything to do with community and fellowship among turners attending the national convention with the opportunity to meet and make mere electronic connections into real friendships.

The title of the thread was clear and straightforward. If such postings offend you in some way, you have two choices: either pass them by or seek some other forum with a policy of rigid intolerance for off-topic threads.

There is, of course, a third option, which is to lighten up, go to the Symposium, and join us for a beer at the Ale House at about 5pm tomorrow.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Even worse is I enjoy the fellowship that woodturning and the fellowship brings. Then if you bring together beer and woodturning (just talk, I do not condone woodturning and drinking beer) I am in heaven. And if I can have a cigar, well %90 of my vices are covered.

And I think there is room in all of us for more leniency and levity.

This is how I made my acquaintance with Rob and Steve and several other turners in Louisville. Good outing.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
While we didn't make it to the Capital last night, went tonight and Chris behind the bar was as good of a beer afficianado as I could ever find. Tasted a Japanese Espresso stout that I probably could never have found anywhere else.

Had a delicious Bells Double Creamy Stout that I could have drank all night - super.

Last edited:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I passed a very fine evening with a group of folks from SE PA and NJ at the Capitol Alehouse. I was drinking Dead Man, which was a very sharp and hoppy beer, the sort I favor. Tonight (Friday) was spent in the Marriott, where the best I could do was a Sam Adams. But we are having fun. :D

Back