• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Belinda Peck

Website
www.forgottenwoods.net
I am new and so I took a look at the member list. I must have clicked on a couple dozen different members in that list and I couldn't find one person, not one, that had a friend or had "befriended" someone. I am flabbergasted :eek: but it will pass. Nevertheless, As much as I wanted to "befriend" someone, anyone, I was afraid to do so since no one else, at least that I could find, has done so. Why don't AAW members "befriend" other members here? Just curious. Scratching my head :confused:

Don't despair, Belinda. We are ALL friends here. Speaking for myself, I am not familiar with the feature nor its uses. Maybe the same for others?

BTW, nice area of California that you live in. I used to live in the Bay Area, but have firmly planted my roots in the Northwest.

Hey Belinda,

Welcome to the forum. I'm with John by not even knowing how or what purpose the friend feature serves. Just hang around for a while and you'll get to know most of us. Ask some questions, post some answers or photos and you'll do just fine.

Maybe you could help us learn about the friend feature ?

Belinda, you'll have to put me also into the camp that has no clue about the "befriending" feature, along with, I suspect, a whole bunch of others.
I guess I'll have to look it up.
Folks around here are pretty darn agreeable nevertheless, and uniformly helpful and generous with their experiences.
Welcome aboard.

If it's any consolation, I help run another vBulletin forum, and I still haven't the foggiest idea what the "Friends" feature is really for. :p It seems it might be handy for keeping track of posts made by people on your Friends list, or e-mailing a link to a certain post to your friends, but the documentation didn't explain it very well to me, and it looks like some of it is dependent on other features of the forum software being set up as well. There is also a "Social Groups" feature with which specific groups of members can send messages to the group that won't be visible to those outside the group. Sort of like Private Messages on a party line, best I can tell.

I don't claim to know much about the Friends feature, but from what I've seen, it doesn't look all that useful. I'll echo Don in welcoming Belinda to this forum and asking if she can tell us what we might be missing. :)

Another "feature" whose value escapes me, is the "Ignore List," which I haven't enabled. AFAICT, posts by those on the Ignore List are visible to some, invisible to others, in their direct form. Visible to all in quoted form, though, which can create some really weird threads.

And welcome aboard, Belinda.

Friends list

I think that just happened with the update a couple days ago. The friends thing is new it wasn't here last week before the update.

Website
www.forgottenwoods.net
lots of friends here, yippy!

thanks everyone for clueing me in on what looks like a new feature to the AAW forum. I am not sure of all the points, negetive or possitive, about using the "befriend" option, just sounded like fun. I'm still trying to make heads or tails out of Facebook. And "friends" or "Likes" still confuss me. I was going to enter the platter contest, but I just saw it ended yesterday........guess I should of been posting a platter pic yesterday instead of trying to find friends! Oh, I have been "befriended" now!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
friends is a new feature, and I think it is for allowing you to follow the posts of those particular people, but I don't know really why.

And yes, it was in the upgrade that happened this week.

You better remove the "Friends" feature here Steve, we wouldn't want something like that happening around here. :D

web site-? for Steve

friends is a new feature, and I think it is for allowing you to follow the posts of those particular people, but I don't know really why.

And yes, it was in the upgrade that happened this week.

Steve. I just saw I had received a private message , but didn't get the heads up on my regular email-a feature I really liked since I get so few and forget to look at the upper right hand side of the forum page. Did this get dropped with the new "look", Gretch

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Steve. I just saw I had received a private message , but didn't get the heads up on my regular email-a feature I really liked since I get so few and forget to look at the upper right hand side of the forum page. Did this get dropped with the new "look", Gretch

Go to MY SETTINGS>EDIT OPTIONS

half way down the page

Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages

Check that box and make sure you have the correct email address in your profile

Rob

Friends

Belinda.
What you will find is that woodturners for the most part are a bunch of old fuddys that aren't up on all the techno stuff.
Sorry guys just my opinion
Rob

That depends

Belinda.
What you will find is that woodturners for the most part are a bunch of old fuddys that aren't up on all the techno stuff.
Sorry guys just my opinion
Rob

Turning techno stuff--you bet we know! Electronic techno stuff--whenever.

Hello Belinda,
I'm new to this site and new to turning (Just started classes a few weeks ago) so I'm totally new. I just read and watch those who post and post a few times until I get to know a few regulars and how the forum flows. I have to say that being an administrator for another site (not wood related) most users do not use that option - at least not saltwater reefers which is what my forum is about.

These guys are just a bunch of old fuddys that aren't up on all the techno stuff in their own minds - most users are the same way :D :cool2:

Last edited:
Hello Belinda,
I'm new to this site and new to turning (Just started classes a few weeks ago) so I'm totally new.

Carol, welcome to our wonderful craft! How did you get interested in woodturning? Who is teaching the classes? What type of woodturning interests you?

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Thank you for the welcome Betty ;D

I'd have to say I've always been interested in wood turning but I knew once I touched it I'd be hooked. So I wanted to make sure the timing was right so I could jump in with both feet.

I'm taking my class at the local Fine Arts center. The class is being offered by Tony Marsh who is a member of AAW and also our local club. Normally our center would offer painting, clay, etc but when I saw they were offering wood turning I jumped on it. I love the smell of wood :D

As for the type of wood turning I would have to say in the future it would be contemporary designs. I’m a glass artist now and would love to get good enough to put the two together – that is my goal. I know I have a long way to go but I'm willing to work hard for it.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Carol

Years ago (mid/late 1990s), Melinda Fawver experimented with combining woodturning and glass. I believe that an image of her work will be in AAW's 25th anniversary book. Melinda's piece was also in one of AAW's exhibits (I think Growth Through Sharing). The catalog for that exhibit is in black and white, so the image does not do justice to her piece.

I'll look forward to seeing what you create -- have fun! (Well, it sounds like you are already having fun!)

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Thank you very much for the information Betty, I might need to do some investigative into Melinda Fawver work. I have a lot of ideas but of course my skill level isn't there with the turning. I could only hope some of my work in the coming years will look half as beautiful as some of the members here - speechless.

Thank you for the welcome Betty ;D

I'd have to say I've always been interested in wood turning but I knew once I touched it I'd be hooked. So I wanted to make sure the timing was right so I could jump in with both feet.

I love the smell of wood :D

Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Carol
Boy can I identify with the fear of falling off the wood turning cliff. I started out a year ago wanting to make fly reel inserts and, like you, realized I'd better be cautious, so I made out this 3 year plan. Yesterday I spent 4 hours at an auction hoping to win the bid on a Powermatic! So much for the cautious approach, it's both feet for me.

If you want to slow yourself down and the smell of wood is seductive, try box elder. It smells like something 10 years dead in a swamp.

Dean

Thanks for the link Mark - absolutely beautiful I just love the two mediums together. I'll be spending my time looking at his designs :cool2:

Hello Dean - LOL trust me I haven't been doing very good in that arena myself. You do need all these wonderful tools you know . . . oh and the beautiful wood, got to try them all! Thanks for the info (warning - LOL) on the box elder :rolleyes:

Sorry for the little high jacking :eek:

Carol

just noticed your address, there is a local chapter located in slo that is fairly active and meets the 3rd sat every month at the odd fellows hall in slo. several of us also live in atascadero. I'd be happy to help you in anyway that I could but am also fairly new at this.

Back