• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl gouge type and size doubt

I have a doubt about the gouges I’m going to buy:

Should I buy a 1/2 bowl gouge to use for bowl and spindle turning and complement with a 1/4 spindle

gouge for detailing or it’s better 1/2 bowl gouge and 1/2 spindle gouge?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I suppose it would depend , for the spindle gouges, either would work, but IMHO I find my 3/8" detail gouge (as opposed to regular 1/2" spindle gouge) is far more useful when it comes to fine-tuning the tenons and other little details , gouge is smaller so you can get a "longer" fingernail to reach in tight corners better than a 1/2" spindle gouge would... so, if you can only buy ONE spindle gouge, I'd go with the 3/8 detail (or 1/4 if that suits you better, but IMHO 1/4 might be a bit too small for what you mean to use it for on bowl work - thicker 3/8 gouge would resist vibration better) So, I'll vote for the Bowl gouge + Detail gouge

I suppose it would depend , for the spindle gouges, either would work, but IMHO I find my 3/8" detail gouge (as opposed to regular 1/2" spindle gouge) is far more useful when it comes to fine-tuning the tenons and other little details , gouge is smaller so you can get a "longer" fingernail to reach in tight corners better than a 1/2" spindle gouge would... so, if you can only buy ONE spindle gouge, I'd go with the 3/8 detail (or 1/4 if that suits you better, but IMHO 1/4 might be a bit too small for what you mean to use it for on bowl work - thicker 3/8 gouge would resist vibration better) So, I'll vote for the Bowl gouge + Detail gouge
Thank you very much, talking with my wife we are also about to go for 1/2 bowl gouge and 3/8 spindle gouge.

For bowls, I personally use a 3/4" bowl gouge mostly. Stout enough to rough cut a bowl blank to perfect round, sharpen and get smooth cuts. Unless I'm doing a sharp inside transition cut, it also works good there.

For bowls, I personally use a 3/4" bowl gouge mostly. Stout enough to rough cut a bowl blank to perfect round, sharpen and get smooth cuts. Unless I'm doing a sharp inside transition cut, it also works good there.
Thank you so much. Sorry I didn’t mentioned I’m just about to start and I’m just planing to do little boxes, small bowls, candle holders, pen holders, pens and so on.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thank you very much, talking with my wife we are also about to go for 1/2 bowl gouge and 3/8 spindle gouge.
Just in case you aren't aware .... depending on the brand (country of origin) the description (1/2") can mean two different things. Diameter of the steel or width of the flute. i.e. - a British brand labeled a 1/2" will have a 5/8" diameter. I recommend a 5/8" ø steel.

Just in case you aren't aware .... depending on the brand (country of origin) the description (1/2") can mean two different things. Diameter of the steel or width of the flute. i.e. - a British brand labeled a 1/2" will have a 5/8" diameter. I recommend a 5/8" ø steel.
Thank you, just read it today, but didn’t got it clear if is it just for bowl gouges or is it for spindles gouges too?

With due respect to John's preference, most turners would find a 3/4" bowl gouge very large and would use it only for large sized blanks and specialized purposes. A 1/2" or 5/8" gouge is a good size for an "all purpose" bowl gouge. I also agree that a 3/8" spindle gouge is the best all around size. A 1/4" spindle gouge is harder to sharpen and maybe a little harder to control.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

These would work for me.

I have a large number of tools.
The two tools I use on every bowl and hollowform are a 1/2” bowl gouge (5/8 diameter bar)
And a 3/8” spindle gouge. (3/8 diameter bar)
When I do spindles I add a diamond parting tool.

With those 3 tools I can turn any outside shape.
My 4 th tool is a 1/4” bowl gouge (3/8 diameter bar)

I have a 5/8 bowl gouge(3/4 diameter bar) I don’t use it much anymore. A 1/2” bowl gouge with an Ellsworth grind can take a 3/4” wide shaving and a 1/64” shaving that is about the range needed for roughing to smoothing. Using the gouge for shear scraping the shavings are less than 1/128”. The secret to smooth finished surface is progressing to the smaller shaving.

Last edited:
With due respect to John's preference, most turners would find a 3/4" bowl gouge very large and would use it only for large sized blanks and specialized purposes. A 1/2" or 5/8" gouge is a good size for an "all purpose" bowl gouge. I also agree that a 3/8" spindle gouge is the best all around size. A 1/4" spindle gouge is harder to sharpen and maybe a little harder to control.
Thank you so much definitely not going for the 1/4 spindle.
3/8 spindle and 1/2 bowl gouge. Now I’m looking for a balance between quality and prices, any experience with Robert sorby, hamlet, hamlet, hamlet Glenn lucas, Henry Taylor? I’ve read good reviews about Thompson but maybe I can’t afford them for now.
Thank you again.

These would work for me.

I have a large number of tools.
The two tools I use on every bowl and hollowform are a 1/2” bowl gouge (5/8 diameter bar)
And a 3/8” spindle gouge. (3/8 diameter bar)
When I do spindles I add a diamond parting tool.

With those 3 tools I can turn any outside shape.
My 4 th tool is a 1/4” bowl gouge (3/8 diameter bar)

I have a 5/8 bowl gouge(3/4 diameter bar) I don’t use it much anymore. A 1/2” bowl gouge with an Ellsworth grind can take a 3/4” wide shaving and a 1/64” shaving that is about the range needed for roughing to smoothing. With shear scraping the shavings are less than 1/128”. The secret to smooth finished surface is the small shavings.
Thank you so much, and do you use skew and roughing for spindle?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thank you so much, and do you use skew and roughing for spindle?
Depends on the spindles.

I often use the bowl gouge for roughing spindles.
I use a 1/2” skew a lot on spindles also have a homemade 1/4” round skew I made from a 1/4” round HSS bar.
I use it on small diameter spindles.

I prefer bigger heavier tools mostly because they just feel better in my hands. A 1/2 inch gouge is a go to tool for many bowl turners, but I prefer the 5/8. I don't use detail gouges very much since I am mostly a bowl turner. A 1/2 or 3/8 would be great for most people. 1/4 inch gouges just are too delicate for my big paws.... I do have a bunch of videos up on You Tube, mostly about bowl turning.

robo hippy

I see you live in Peru. What source do you plan to use to source tools? Local? Amazon? US distributers? Helps us get an idea of brands available to you. Also, reducing the # of shipments can save $.

I recommend a 5/8" bar bowl gouge even though you are starting with smaller pieces. A swept wing grind with the heal removed can do a lot with smaller turnings, and can be used for roughing spindle or bowl logs/blanks.

A 3/8" shaft spindle gouge is the most useful all around size. It can be ground with a bit sharper point fingernail grind for details while still used for general turning. From a pure safety perspective it should not be used for faceplate turning such as bowls where the wood grain is perpendicular to the spindle. It can be used with care - limited overhang from tool rest 1"-2" and light detail cuts only. I use a 1/2" shaft SG for some faceplate details and tenon work, limiting tool rest overhang and cut depth.

Last edited:
I prefer bigger heavier tools mostly because they just feel better in my hands. A 1/2 inch gouge is a go to tool for many bowl turners, but I prefer the 5/8. I don't use detail gouges very much since I am mostly a bowl turner. A 1/2 or 3/8 would be great for most people. 1/4 inch gouges just are too delicate for my big paws.... I do have a bunch of videos up on You Tube, mostly about bowl turning.

robo hippy
Thanks so much. I’ll definitely go for 1/2 bowl and 3/8 spindle as a beginner set.
Now am looking for a good quality do you have some advices hamlet vs robert sorby ? Thompson is expensive for me now or it really worths extra money .

I see you live in Peru. What source do you plan to use to source tools? Local? Amazon? US distributers? Helps us get an idea of brands available to you. Also, reducing the # of shipments can save $.

I recommend a 5/8" bar bowl gouge even though you are starting with smaller pieces. A swept wing grind with the heal removed can do a lot with smaller turnings, and can be used for roughing spindle or bowl logs/blanks.

A 3/8" shaft spindle gouge is the most useful all around size. It can be ground with a bit sharper point fingernail grind for details while still used for general turning. From a pure safety perspective it should not be used for faceplate turning such as bowls where the wood grain is perpendicular to the spindle. It can be used with care - limited overhang from tool rest 1"-2" and light detail cuts only. I use a 1/2" shaft SG for some faceplate details and tenon work, limiting tool rest overhang and cut depth.
Thank you so much and yes you’re totally right in everything you comment.
I’m looking for good quality and also good price and trying to buy in one store for not paying extra shipping and of course I also have the courier shipping cost to Peru .
I’m looking at amazon and craft supplies, do you have any advise between Robert sorby, hamlet, Hurricane and Artisan? Thompson is the more expensive for me and has the highest shipping but I wonder if it really worth the effort?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thanks so much. I’ll definitely go for 1/2 bowl and 3/8 spindle as a beginner set.
Now am looking for a good quality do you have some advices hamlet vs robert sorby ? Thompson is expensive for me now or it really worths extra money .
Hamlet, Sorby, Taylor are all good tool steels. I haven't done a price comparison but I'm sure if you compare "apples to apples" (M2, M4, M42, V10, V15, powdered metal, cryo, etc.) they will probably be close in price. Not to confuse the issue - but I usually prefer my HT parabolic flute shape over my Thompson V ... just personal preference.

Hamlet, Sorby, Taylor are all good tool steels. I haven't done a price comparison but I'm sure if you compare "apples to apples" (M2, M4, M42, V10, V15, powdered metal, cryo, etc.) they will probably be close in price. Not to confuse the issue - but I usually prefer my HT parabolic flute shape over my Thompson V ... just personal preference.
Thank you so much I’m just looking for the best price and quality, sorry to bother you again what do you think or have any experience between Hurricane and Artisan those are little bit cheaper.

Your Peru location gives me a lot of pause on recommendations due to shipping costs. Normally I recommend "hi value" tools, low cost but do the job, allowing people to try more tools to figure out shaft sizes and grind types they like for what they turn, and learn how to sharpen without using up expensive steel.

The Benjamin's Best line of tools from Penn State Industries (PSI) is my pick for this. Then when a tool gets short, most likely meaning you have used it the most, go get a nice tool. Years ago Hurricane and Ben Best tools seemed interchangeable but Hurricane base M2 tools have gone up in price substantially. PSI BB's are still my favorite for scrapers. IMO no need to go expensive with scrapers unless you rough out with them like Robo Hippy.

In your case it probably makes sense to go with better tools to begin with. My favorite for bowl or spindle gouges are Crown's RAZOR series of M42 tools, and their powdered metal tools. It's a value calculation for me. Thompson V10 steel and tools are top of the line, but I can get a 5/8" shaft M42 BG for ~25% less, and M42 holds an edge very well. Hartville Tool in Ohio has the best prices on them, see if they ship to Peru.

When I price out hamlet, artisan, henry taylor vs crown, crown, at least from Hartville Tool, beats them significantly on price - be sure you compare apples to apples, it can get tricky. Hartville also has the best prices I've found on Oneway chucks and jaws if interested in those.

I am not a fan of the "special treated" m2 steel/tools - cryo, coatings, etc. My research tells me that the base steel counts, not a special treatment. Some steel types have cryo as part of the standard mfg process - that's a different animal. plain M2 will perform well. M42 steel is a very significant step up in edge retention - the only reason for using other steels, there is no strength or other benefit. Powdered metals are another step up but not as big of a step - sometimes it seems the PM tools hold an edge a bit better than M42, sometimes not. Thompson V10 is a PM steel tool FYI.

Your Peru location gives me a lot of pause on recommendations due to shipping costs. Normally I recommend "hi value" tools, low cost but do the job, allowing people to try more tools to figure out shaft sizes and grind types they like for what they turn, and learn how to sharpen without using up expensive steel.

The Benjamin's Best line of tools from Penn State Industries (PSI) is my pick for this. Then when a tool gets short, most likely meaning you have used it the most, go get a nice tool. Years ago Hurricane and Ben Best tools seemed interchangeable but Hurricane base M2 tools have gone up in price substantially. PSI BB's are still my favorite for scrapers. IMO no need to go expensive with scrapers unless you rough out with them like Robo Hippy.

In your case it probably makes sense to go with better tools to begin with. My favorite for bowl or spindle gouges are Crown's RAZOR series of M42 tools, and their powdered metal tools. It's a value calculation for me. Thompson V10 steel and tools are top of the line, but I can get a 5/8" shaft M42 BG for ~25% less, and M42 holds an edge very well. Hartville Tool in Ohio has the best prices on them, see if they ship to Peru.

When I price out hamlet, artisan, henry taylor vs crown, crown, at least from Hartville Tool, beats them significantly on price - be sure you compare apples to apples, it can get tricky. Hartville also has the best prices I've found on Oneway chucks and jaws if interested in those.

I am not a fan of the "special treated" m2 steel/tools - cryo, coatings, etc. My research tells me that the base steel counts, not a special treatment. Some steel types have cryo as part of the standard mfg process - that's a different animal. plain M2 will perform well. M42 steel is a very significant step up in edge retention - the only reason for using other steels, there is no strength or other benefit. Powdered metals are another step up but not as big of a step - sometimes it seems the PM tools hold an edge a bit better than M42, sometimes not. Thompson V10 is a PM steel tool FYI.
Thank you so much, for all the recommendations and information i appreciate it a lot it really helps me to be more confident when buying this tools.
I’m also thinking in buying the oneway talon chuck that is less than 200 dollars and ships to Peru from Amazon (i can’t exceed $200 when I import otherwise I’ll have to pay extra 23-24% taxes in Peru)
Doug I’m honestly thankful for your time and care, greetings and have a nice week .

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Thank you so much I’m just looking for the best price and quality, sorry to bother you again what do you think or have any experience between Hurricane and Artisan those are little bit cheaper.
Havent heard of Artisan brand, but I can give good recommendation for Hurricane tools, if you are on price conscious budget, I'd say Hurricane (The black handled ones, I think Cryo steel) are rather a bit better than the Benjamin's Best - The 1/2" Hurricane spindle gouge (not detail) I got on amazon came with nicely polished flute, and was easy to get a very keen edge that has held up well for me. If going with Sorby make sure you know when buying gouge what the bar diameter is (as mentioned before, UK tools often go by flute size, while U.S. tools go by Bar size, so a 1/2" Sorby from the U.K. might be the same as a 5/8 Thompson as far as actual dimensions go.. It can be a little confusing so need to use care to make sure you know what dimensions you are looking for, can't always rely on the "size" they advertise as... As my original recommendation , when I mentioned 1/2" bowl gouge, I meant U.S. Sizing, meaning it has a 1/2" bar , but a 3/8" flute... I am not so sure that spindle and detail gouges work the same way as far as measurements go, but it is well to be aware of that concept in size differences between various brands, so you can make sure you are getting what you expect. )

Now I’m looking for a balance between quality and prices, any experience with Robert sorby, hamlet, hamlet, hamlet Glenn lucas, Henry Taylor? I’ve read good reviews about Thompson but maybe I can’t afford them for now.
Michael, all of these are good tools. I would consider the Robert Sorby, Hamlet, Henry Taylor, and Crown tools to be reasonably equivalent, as long as the type of steel is the same. Packard and Craft Supplies have their own house brands of turning tools that are made by one of these companies and can be a bargain. (In my experience, the version of the tools with an Expert Turner's name attached are higher priced without any lasting advantage over the regular tools from the same manufacturer.)

The basic, good but economical steel will be M2. All of the brands I've mentioned above come in an M2 version.

There are more advanced steels with properties that those with experience may find preferable to the M2. These would be M42, Powdered Metal, Kryo, and V10. They are generally harder and hold an edge longer, but cost more. The Thompson tools only come in an advanced steel, and when compared with other brands in advanced steels, are not actually more expensive. D-Way is another good brand that only comes in an advanced steel.

In my opinion, for people getting started in turning and interested in good quality but economical turning tools, M2 is probably the best bet. New turners will use up a lot of steel learning to sharpen and they are less likely to notice the advantages of the advanced steels. If you are already skilled at sharpening, one of the advanced steels will be a good investment for you.

Emiliano, could you recommended the best way for Michael to get decent tools at a reasonable price in South America?

Havent heard of Artisan brand, but I can give good recommendation for Hurricane tools, if you are on price conscious budget, I'd say Hurricane (The black handled ones, I think Cryo steel) are rather a bit better than the Benjamin's Best - The 1/2" Hurricane spindle gouge (not detail) I got on amazon came with nicely polished flute, and was easy to get a very keen edge that has held up well for me. If going with Sorby make sure you know when buying gouge what the bar diameter is (as mentioned before, UK tools often go by flute size, while U.S. tools go by Bar size, so a 1/2" Sorby from the U.K. might be the same as a 5/8 Thompson as far as actual dimensions go.. It can be a little confusing so need to use care to make sure you know what dimensions you are looking for, can't always rely on the "size" they advertise as... As my original recommendation , when I mentioned 1/2" bowl gouge, I meant U.S. Sizing, meaning it has a 1/2" bar , but a 3/8" flute... I am not so sure that spindle and detail gouges work the same way as far as measurements go, but it is well to be aware of that concept in size differences between various brands, so you can make sure you are getting what you expect. )
Thank you so much,I appreciate your time and it’s very helpful everything you mentioned since you advertised me that the uk and American size are different I’m very conscious about it now and I’m looking for the shaft size and when they don’t mention it I look for their catalogue. it’s right the 3/8 description always is 1/2 shaft.
thank you again and wish you a great weekend.

Michael, all of these are good tools. I would consider the Robert Sorby, Hamlet, Henry Taylor, and Crown tools to be reasonably equivalent, as long as the type of steel is the same. Packard and Craft Supplies have their own house brands of turning tools that are made by one of these companies and can be a bargain. (In my experience, the version of the tools with an Expert Turner's name attached are higher priced without any lasting advantage over the regular tools from the same manufacturer.)

The basic, good but economical steel will be M2. All of the brands I've mentioned above come in an M2 version.

There are more advanced steels with properties that those with experience may find preferable to the M2. These would be M42, Powdered Metal, Kryo, and V10. They are generally harder and hold an edge longer, but cost more. The Thompson tools only come in an advanced steel, and when compared with other brands in advanced steels, are not actually more expensive. D-Way is another good brand that only comes in an advanced steel.

In my opinion, for people getting started in turning and interested in good quality but economical turning tools, M2 is probably the best bet. New turners will use up a lot of steel learning to sharpen and they are less likely to notice the advantages of the advanced steels. If you are already skilled at sharpening, one of the advanced steels will be a good investment for you.

Emiliano, could you recommended the best way for Michael to get decent tools at a reasonable price in South America?
Thank you so much for your help and very precise explanation about the type of metals and what too look and considering when buying. I haven’t heard of d-way tools I’m going to check them.
My wife and I work making characters with different kinds of wood and use many woodworking tools
and with that experience we prefer going for good quality ones because at the end of the day cheaper tools are more expensive.
Greetings and have a wonderful weekend.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thank you, just read it today, but didn’t got it clear if is it just for bowl gouges or is it for spindles gouges too?

Yes, I believe so.

No, the difference in the way that size is measured only applies to bowl gouges. The size of spindle gouges is always the diameter of the steel.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Importing tools to South America has proven to be impossible. Due to the high cost of shipping, it would add so much to the tools, making them prohibited. A Philosophy teacher at a National Argentina university makes less than $300 US dollars per month. I'm guessing Peru is about the same or even worst. I have been taking Thompson and Hunter Tools for the last 5 years to Argentina. It has really helped woodturning to have access to decent tools. There is a 100% tax on anything, on top of the shipping cost. Any lathe would cost double plus thousands more on shipping. Last month, inquiring about shipping tools, I was asked if I wanted the legal paperwork way or on the side way. Meaning you pay a bribe to the customs agents. This was a customs agent talking to me. The advantage he said, was he could guarantee me a fast release of the goods, as opposed to months the "legal: way. Last year I had 70 pounds of tools. The agent at the airport tried to extort me a bribe, but, I have an American passport, and he backed off when he saw it. Legally I can enter with them, and in theory I have to bring them back, I forgot them at the woodturning school in Buenos Aires, oops. So, in short, there is no easy way of getting tools down there. Taking them in the luggage is the best option.

Well, when buying new tools, my main consideration is value, not cost. I do consider the Thompson and D Way (V10 metal and M42 high speed steel) to be the best value. Only Artisan tools that I know of are the house brand from Craft Supplies USA. They are good tools, but not as good as Thompson and D Way. Never had any Hurricane tools. Sorby also makes good tools. Not sure if they make any M42 tools or not, but most lines are starting to carry that metal. It does hold an edge longer than standard M2 high speed steel. You can take car leaf springs and make a decent skew and scrapers if you have metal working skills. I only know how to grind metals.... If you can, get some CBN grinding wheels. Depending on how much you are going to get into this hobby, it may be worth the trip to the US or else where for tool buying. The AAW Symposium is a great place to shop....Not sure how much you can carry back with you on the plane....

robo hippy

Importing tools to South America has proven to be impossible. Due to the high cost of shipping, it would add so much to the tools, making them prohibited. A Philosophy teacher at a National Argentina university makes less than $300 US dollars per month. I'm guessing Peru is about the same or even worst. I have been taking Thompson and Hunter Tools for the last 5 years to Argentina. It has really helped woodturning to have access to decent tools. There is a 100% tax on anything, on top of the shipping cost. Any lathe would cost double plus thousands more on shipping. Last month, inquiring about shipping tools, I was asked if I wanted the legal paperwork way or on the side way. Meaning you pay a bribe to the customs agents. This was a customs agent talking to me. The advantage he said, was he could guarantee me a fast release of the goods, as opposed to months the "legal: way. Last year I had 70 pounds of tools. The agent at the airport tried to extort me a bribe, but, I have an American passport, and he backed off when he saw it. Legally I can enter with them, and in theory I have to bring them back, I forgot them at the woodturning school in Buenos Aires, oops. So, in short, there is no easy way of getting tools down there. Taking them in the luggage is the best option.
Hello, thank you so much for your answer and all the experience you mention, I see you can understand me very well, here in Lima, Peru we are lucky to have one small store that sells some woodworking tools but when checked his web for woodturning just saw 3 narex gouges 2 carbides and 1 standar line. Fortunately, I haven’t had the bad experience of being asked for a bribe. I use to buy through a courier and when it’s possible direct from Amazon or stores like workshop heaven that ship directly.

Here we can import free taxes when it is less than $200, if it exceeds then we have to pay around 23% or more taxes depending on the product and weight, but it always increases considerably because of the courier costs and sometimes shipping inside the USA, when buying in Amazon most of the time free shipping and just pay the taxes but when I want to buy for example in Thompson or craft supplies I have to pay USA shipping around $12 to $16 plus the courier cost.
I’d like to thank you all for the help and advice i had received. Now I’m about to buy just 4 tools:
3/4 skew, 3/8 beading, and parting,1/2 bowl gouge(shaft diameter), and 3/8 spindle gouge. and after looking and searching prices and advice I have 2 options:
  1. There is a good deal at Taylor Toolworks the 4 tools Robert Sorby without a handle $185.
  2. If I buy 2 Thompsons the bowl gouge and spindle and the other from Taylor I’ll be paying around $ 237.
So the difference is $52 but does it really worth the extra money and effort? I should be highly recommended to buy 2 Thompsons.

Well, when buying new tools, my main consideration is value, not cost. I do consider the Thompson and D Way (V10 metal and M42 high speed steel) to be the best value. Only Artisan tools that I know of are the house brand from Craft Supplies USA. They are good tools, but not as good as Thompson and D Way. Never had any Hurricane tools. Sorby also makes good tools. Not sure if they make any M42 tools or not, but most lines are starting to carry that metal. It does hold an edge longer than standard M2 high speed steel. You can take car leaf springs and make a decent skew and scrapers if you have metal working skills. I only know how to grind metals.... If you can, get some CBN grinding wheels. Depending on how much you are going to get into this hobby, it may be worth the trip to the US or else where for tool buying. The AAW Symposium is a great place to shop....Not sure how much you can carry back with you on the plane....

robo hippy
Thank you so much, i totally agree with everything you mentioned. I have some experience in woodworking and tools and can’t agree more with you about quality.
Briefly, my wife and I work making characters with different kinds of wood and we love it but it takes around 3 to 6 weeks each piece so it’s a very slowly project.
So we were thinking in developing a new line of products with new designs that takes less time to produce. We think we could buy a lathe (we already did it) and start something new and also complement our main project and to be honest many times I was looking and contemplating lathes. So it’s being a good excuse for buying one and get into this world.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
So the difference is $52 but does it really worth the extra money and effort and I should be highly recommend to buy 2 Thompsons?

No, it isn’t worth the extra money for the average hobby woodturner. You will be just as happy with any of the other brands mentioned here.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
looking at amazon and craft supplies, do you have any advise between Robert sorby, hamlet, Hurricane and Artisan?
I have several of the 1/2 “ Henry Taylor Artisan bowl gouges ( 5/8 bar diameter) craft supplies sells.
They are nice tools and take the Ellsworth grind nicely

I have several of the 1/2 “ Henry Taylor Artisan bowl gouges ( 5/8 bar diameter) craft supplies sells.
They are nice tools and take the Ellsworth grind nicely
Hello thank you so much maybe I should take a look and compare prices and if all of them are about the same I’ll go for the best price.
greetings

Hello thank you so much maybe I should take a look and compare prices and if all of them are about the same I’ll go for the best price.
greetings
Michael,
Take a look at Penn State Industries. They have a beginner's set for $80 on sale. I have two gouges: a Sorby and a double-ended gouge from a "famous turner". Neither cuts significantly better than my Benjamins Best. After you have more experience sharpening, then try something more expensive. More important than the tools is how you are going to sharpen them. Out of the box, most tools are pretty useless until you properly sharpen them. You need an 8" grinder and something like a Oneway Wolverine fixture and Varigrind jig. If you cannot afford the Wolverine and Varigrind system, There are ways to fabricate your own. When I started out I made a sliding arm out of hardwood and constructed an Ellsworth sharpening jig out of a piece of pipe and steel rod.
Pat

Michael,
Take a look at Pen State Industries. They have a beginners set for $80 on sale. I have two gouges a Sorby and a double sided gouge from a "famous turner". Neither cuts significantly better than my Benjamins Best. After you have more experience sharpening, then try something more expensive. More important than the tools is how you are going to sharpen them. Out of the box most tools are pretty useless until you properly sharpen them. You need an 8" grinder and something like a verigrind jig. If you cannot afford the verigrind system, There are ways to fabricate your own. When I started out I made a sliding arm out of hardwood and constructed an elsworth sharpening jig out of a piece of pipe and some steel rod.
Pat
Thank you so much,I have some experience in woodworkig making characters and I understand very well that if you don’t know how sharpen you can’t work. It is also my concern how long should it take, because learn how to sharpen properly my chisels, plane iron and gouges took me long time.
For that reason in the first moment, even though not my favorite I was about to start with carbides ones. But I just find a wood turner that gave me a couple of lessons and he strongly recommend me to start with traditional ones and that’s what I’m doing.

Thank you so much,I have some experience in woodworkig making characters and I understand very well that if you don’t know how sharpen you can’t work. It is also my concern how long should it take, because learn how to sharpen properly my chisels, plane iron and gouges took me long time.
For that reason in the first moment, even though not my favorite I was about to start with carbides ones. But I just find a wood turner that gave me a couple of lessons and he strongly recommend me to start with traditional ones and that’s what I’m doing.
Finding an experienced turner can help tremendously with shortening the learning curve and saving $. Good choice to learn hss tools vs carbide particularly since you are turning for business not just hobby.

Thanks you,now I feel more confident and for the moment until I get my gouges just keep watching turning videos about how to use properly turning tools.
greetings

Back