• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Brian Boring

Hi all. I just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I'm brand new to woodturning (about 4 weeks) and quickly becoming obsessed. Awhile back I started watching videos online and had to try it. I live in Phoenix, AZ and I work out of my tiny, extremely hot one-car garage. I picked up a mini lathe from Rockler and some tools and a grinder from a fellow local woodturner that I recently met. So far I have just been working on techniques by making small vases and bottlestoppers. I've only got this far by watching videos online (and trial and error). I know I could benefit greatly from a class but I travel for work (I produce live events) so scheduling something is difficult.
Anyways, really looking forward to tapping into the vast experience on here. Thanks all!

Brian.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 24

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome!

There are many excellent turners in the greater Phoenix area.
Perhaps you have discovered the Arizona Woodturners and been home when they meet.

You may have a side benefit from your traveling - being able to visit a local chapter meeting when your off duty hours allow. Most chapter welcome visitors. In central Florida we have folks drop in to visit our clubs from all over.

Have fun be safe it’s a woodturning is great way to spend your time.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Brian. You have made a couple nice projects so far. If your schedule will allow you to attend some of the meetings of the Arizona Woodturners Association that meets in Tempe, it will be a great benefit in developing your turning skills, seeing what others are doing, and meeting a bunch of nice people. They meet at noon on the third Saturday of each month at Pyle Community Center, 655 E. Southern Avenue. Here is a link to their website: http://www.azwoodturners.org/wood/

Back