• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

captured sapwood

included sapwood

jimwtolly has a honey locust bowl in gallery, would the grain pattern be "captured sapwood" or does anyone have an example of "captured sapwood"

:confused:

captured sapwood should read included sapwood sorry :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Hey Charlie,

The only time I've heard "captured" used with turning is when you turn a ring or other shape that is free of but permanently held by the rest of the piece. An example would be a "captured ring", where you turn a spindle with a thin center and two larger ends, and with a turned and cut loose ring in the center that is "captured" between the two ends and cannot be removed without breaking or cutting it.

The piece you're looking at by Jim looks to include sapwood and heartwood but I'm not aware of any special name for that effect other than "sapwood and heartwood". Turning across the grain gives it that nice pattern.

How's that apple holding up?

Dietrich

opps included sapwood

i had to go back to old text "textbook of wood technology" part of the american forestry series consulting editor henry j, vaux

"occasionally, streaks of light-colored wood that have the appearance and properties of normal sapwood are found embedded in heartwood; such tissue is described as included sapwood. included sapwood may occur in any tree species;it is especially common and evident in western red cedar.

i saw the piece of honey locust and i had read something about sapwood, took me 2 hours to find the included sapwood phase, sorry for the confusion :eek: :eek: :confused:

Last edited:
Back