• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carving tools

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Cool. Do you use rubber sticky mat (don't know what it's called) to mask the bowl?
I started a thread on resist.

I had a Foredom for quite a few years, but it died. I thought it was the brushes and replaced them and cleaned it out, but it was still throwing a shower of sparks. I replaced it with a cheapo knockoff from Amazon for about $90. I liked it enough that I bought a 2nd one that I keep my reciprocating carver head on.

I also bought a cheapo micrcomotor that has worked pretty well so far. I haven't really done much carving with it yet, so we'll see how long it lasts.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use Dremels, foredom, Ryoby reciprocating carver, angle grinder with 2" arbortec cutter, angle grinder with Holey Callahan carver

I’m curious as to what tools folks are using to power carve.
I use Arbortech tools for the majority of my carving (although I am relatively inexperienced with carving).
I have also purchased a Milwaukee M12 BLROT 0 which is cordless, lightweight and great for a lot of repetitive small work. What do other experienced carvers use?

I bought a Weecher rotary tool set - the rotary tool with the small standard handset, a flex shaft and a riprocating carver handset several years ago to replace an aging dremel that was only used as a rotary tool. It came with a small selection of burrs and bits - just like every cheapo set on the market, and it sat in its blow-molded box seldom used for a few years until we moved. Out of curiosity, when work on the new shop was getting done, I started using the reciprocating carver handpiece on a few projects and have become hooked. I've got no idea how it would compare with the high-priced spreads available, but it is holding up very well under frequent use. Been going strong for 8 or 9 years now with no signs of giving up the ghost (yet). I have changed over to Flex-cut chisels...

It was a great buy at about $89 for the whole kit when it went on sale way back when. Someday I may upgrade to a foredom or one of the dedicated reciprocal carvers, but until this thing dies I'm going to take full advantage of it.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
How is the Foredom different than a Dremel?
The foredom is a flex shaft carver that runs variable speed with a foot pedal controller or speed dial.. The 1/16 hp motor is designed to hang so the shaft can move about. The foredom reverses.

The dremel is a hand held tool to which you can attach a short flex shaft.

For short jobs the dremel is fine. For a long session I find the foredom more pleasant to use.

I think they can both use all the same cutters.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I use a micro-motor tool for most of my carving/texturing. If I need more torque for larger burs/cutters (or reciprocating chisels) I have a MasterCarver (1/2 hp) flex-shaft hanging tool. Of course, it depends on what kind of carving you're talking about. A vast difference between, let's say, piercing and chain saw carving.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The Foredom has much more power than the Dremel. It also has the capability of using 1/4"shaft cutters. So basically it's much more robust. I still use Dremeks a little for detail work but when I need to hog off wood I go to tge foredom.

For carving.....I have used wood chisels. But, after a class with John Jordan.....I bought a Automach reciprocating carver. Like it a lot. I can actually hold the wood and carve with it.
Then, after a class with Mike Lee......I purchased a nice micro-motor. Use 1/8" shaft bits. Really like it. Find I use it for lots of stuff.....other than carving on bowls.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The 4" Arbortec is just as dangerous as the 4" chainsaw cutter. The 2" arbortec is a very good easy to control tool.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I have a Dremel 3000 with a flex shaft attachment. It works fine for most purposes, but I do wish it would hold 1/4” shaft bits. I’ve never had much of a problem with the lack of power, but I’m not usually jogging away massive amounts of material. If I was, I would probably combo a Foredom and an Arbortech (or Manpa). I’d like to get a micro motor though, as sometimes the flex shaft puts a bit of strain on the wrist during long sessions. I have a lot of chisels and rasps I use in addition to the Dremel.

I am looking for something that can cut more delicate profiles using 1/8" bits. I find the flex shaft hard to control for fine details. I was thinking for the finer cuts I could go with a cordless pen type cutter after initial cuts with the dremel/flexshaft since it won't be used except for the final cuts. Or maybe a thinner corded tool like Micro Lux?
What say ye?

Last edited:
Website
jpseyfried.com
Just about all the carving that I have done has been for putting legs on bowls. I use Merlin2 Mini Grinder to rough out the shape. If I were to use it a lot the 2" Arbortech mini carver would be a better choice. For more detail I started out with Dremel tools. I have upgraded (in my opinion) to a Strong 202 micro motor. The handpiece alone makes it nicer to work with. I also use a selection of rasps and files.

I am looking for something that can cut more delicate profiles using 1/8" bits. I find the flex shaft hard to control for fine details. I was thinking for the finer cuts I could go with a cordless pen type cutter after initial cuts with the dremel/flexshaft since it won't be used except for the final cuts. Or maybe a thinner corded tool like Micro Lux?
What say ye?
You probably want a higher speed range (30k+ rpms) for detail work with small bits. There is a wide range of gear available, from micro motor tools (brushed/brushless, up to 1/4" collets but commonly 1/8" and less, $-$$$$) to dental air tools running over 300k rpms, so do your homework.

What say ye?
The Master Carver micro motor is what Graeme Priddle and Melissa Engler use and recommend in their classes. I do not know anything about this seller it is just the first listing that popped up:

I have a RAM from MDI and like it, though I paid more for features that I really don’t need.

The Master Carver micro motor is what Graeme Priddle and Melissa Engler use and recommend in their classes. I do not know anything about this seller it is just the first listing that popped up:

I have a RAM from MDI and like it, though I paid more for features that I really don’t need.
Thanks Kevin! I was hoping for much more useful replies. I appreciate the info...the seller is the same one I linked. I have to pivot after recent hand surgery...✋

Back