• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cary Power

Hello!

My name is Cary Power, 62, from Mckinney, Texas.

I am a Retired Software Engineer, Northern Telecom/Nortel after 36+ years. Before that 6 years in the Navy. Just started Woodturning as a Retirement hobby in 2018, I have one of the highly sought after Harbor Freight Lathes (34706) purchase made possible with with a well timed 25% off coupon! So far my only tools are a Hunter Osprey #2 and a PSI 1/16" parting tool. My wife is going to have so many bowls...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hello Cary.
Welcome to the forum and to your woodturning adventure.
Lots of good information here.

You are a short drive from 3 AAW chapters. If you haven’t visited one. I suggest you do.
Meeting other woodturners, seeing how they use the tools is invaluable.
The clubs often have hands on events too.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/AAWConnectsMap?

Cary,
On the HF 34706 lathe you will want to make a regular habit of blowing saw dust out of the headstock housing and lubricating the reeves pulleys. The reeves drive and drive belt are the items on that particular lathe that need the most attention. If the belt gets worn and frayed you need to replace it before it causes damage to the cast alloy reeves pulleys. If the reeves pulleys get gummed up and stuck onto the motor shaft or spindle shaft you need to be very careful trying to put any pressure on them or they can break easily. When the variable speed adjustment does not slow or speed up the lathe that is usually an indication of one of the reeves pulleys being gummed up and not moving on the shaft as designed. A shot of WD-40 on the shaft is usually enough to break it free and you can rotate the speed of the lathe up and down a couple of times while spraying the shaft with WD-40 to clean the dirt from the shaft and pulley.

Back