• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cliff Greaves

Hello! I have been a "flat woodworker" for about 10 years. I have made a wall clock, a hope chest, several cremation urns, a baby crib and numerous boxes and a slew of cutting boards. All of these that would come under the heading of "fine furniture". Well, the cutting boards are really not "fine furniture" but they are sought after by friends and family. Not too long ago, I attended the "Fine Woodworking Live" symposium in Massachusetts where I saw a turning demonstration that just blew me away. I resolved then to find a way to learn to turn, but learn the 'right way'. I have always wanted to learn to turn on a lathe, but had been reluctant to go the route of "self-taught" simply because I know some who went that way only to become frustrated and gave up on the whole thing. So, I waited it out. Fortunately, a long time friend suggested I go with him to Chapel Hill Woodturners Club on Fridays. He said there is a wonderful turner and teacher there named Frank Penta. I went with him, and I am so glad I did. Frank is personable, articulate, caring, and passionate about the craft, who is indeed a great teacher, and excellent turner. I have now been to five Friday sessions. With Frank's help, and that of some other club members, I can now turn a few things that are respectable. I have a long way to go to become proficient, but I now have the confidence to go ahead. I am so very grateful to Frank, my friend Jimmy Murray, and the rest of the Chapel Hill Woodturners club for their warm welcome, patience, and willingness to share their knowledge while providing encouragement and mentoring. As a soon to be 77 year old, who is beyond grateful for this opportunity, and thrilled to learn that I may have the capacity to become a respectable turner, I am so excited that I have this opportunity. Thank you, Frank Penta, and Jimmy Murray for "turning on the light" and showing me the way! I look forward to continuing my association with these wonderful folks. I look forward to learning enough to one day be able to share what I have learned with another person who yearns to become a respectable turner.

Good to see the younger generation taking an interest in wood turning. :)
Always fun learning new things makes life worth living!

Yes! It is extremely important to keep the "juices" flowing and the rest of things working too! Indeed, it does make life worth living!!! Thanks for your kind response!

Back