• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cutting circles on band saw

I simply don't worry about cutting it nicely round. I get reasonably close freehand, but it's going to be trued up once on the lathe anyway, so why worry? And with much of the work I do, especially with 4/4 material, a drilled hole would simply complicate what I need to do. I don't do many bowls anymore.

Well, one thing I tend to do differently, when cutting up a log for bowls, I always cut a flat spot on the bark side so there is a flat spot for the blank to sit on and then I can scribe the circle with a compass on the top side. To me, this is still faster than using a jig. Having the circle perfect is not necessary because you never can get a chuck perfectly centered and the outside of the bowl blank still needs to be trued up. This does not work for natural edge bowls, and I turn very few of them.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I start my blank prep by finding the center of the opening .
For a NE hollowform or NE bowl this will consider the bark contours that will form the rim.
Also takes into account the sapwood that will show at the rim.

For a bowl from a half log the center point will balance the grain and control the sapwood that will show .

When driven by a spur in the opening center. The grain orientation will be maintained unless the tail center is moved a large amount causing a big change in the angle of the grain from it original plane. It is rare that I don’t foresee this.
Can always choose another center if needed - really rare

I split the log down the middle cut to bowl width or a little more, draw a circle on the flat side to get max bowl size, draw a circle for the faceplate on the same flat side. I measure from middle point to bowl edge then set the bandsaw pin distance. Drill a hole at the compass middle point and mount it on the bandsaw jig and cut a perfect circle, flip it over and mount the faceplate at the circle drawn for it and mount it on the lathe. It is within an 1/4" or less of running true. I haven't tried a NE bowl yet, may when I get down to the bottom of the black walnut stack...
IMG_1494.jpgIMG_1495.jpg

Does anyone have experience using the Carter Accu Right circle jig? I am looking for a jig to make circles and possibly my own bowl blanks. Not sure if I should spend $100+ on this jig? Or for smaller circles buy a less expensive jig for router?
Thank you.
I have owned my bandsaw for 15 plus years, and cut freehand until I joined this forum, a club, then the AAW at the first of this year. I don't know how many blades I've ruined, still have several hanging on the wall. Got to a point I sawed the corners off with the chainsaw and started turning...

I built a sled using tips from the guys here and bought new blades at the same time. There is nothing complicated about the design, pictures are above. Just some furniture plywood I found on the side of the road for trash pickup, a couple strips of oak I had, couple washers and a bolt. I had a piece of 1/4" slick rod left over from something for the pin.

The reason for this post is more of an update than anything. I have cut about 140 bowl blanks since building this, still using the same 3/8" 2tpi carbon blade, just had to clean the gunk off of it a couple times. The jig is still in great shape.

If you are a little handy, you can build a good sled that cuts almost perfect circles, get the most out of your wood, save yourself a bunch on ruined blades if you are like me, freehand not working that great....Everyone is different and there are so many variations that can be had. I suggest looking them over, one might just fit for you.

Built my circle-cutting jig out of plywood scraps, a piece of aluminum t-track, a t-bolt and knob. The center pin is a 1/4-20 bolt, threaded through the t-track. The t-track slides in a groove routed into the plywood.

I realize I could turn my blanks to round on the lathe, but trimming them on the bandsaw makes for a lot less shavings to clean up!

IMG_20220410_135127138.jpgIMG_20220410_135154073.jpgIMG_20220410_135202137.jpg

Back