• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dan Bevilacqua

Hello all. I have been following this forum for a long time; but, I have hesitated to join due to having to place my full real name as my forum name. I am somewhat of a private person; but, here is some of the information I would like to share. First of all, thanks you for having me.

I have been woodworking since high school, "majoring" in all the shop classes. :D I did work as an apprentice in a machine shop while I was in high school, both after school and full time in the summer.

I got back into woodworking in around 1992 or so and did quite a bit for a couple of years as a hobby. Not too much in the way of woodturning during that couple of years, although I did some on my Shopsmith MK V. I then stopped doing it reguarly; except a couple of projects here and there.

I recently retired, and have enjoyed woodworking regularly. I started turning on a regular basis, almost daily, since around March of this year. I started on a Harbor Freight lathe that I no longer have; but, it worked pretty nicely. I then tried a couple of mini/midi lathes, and then acquired another Shopsmith, a 10ER (heavy cast iron beast) that I dedicated as a lathe. It turns rather well. I also have a Nova Comet that I also like. Actually, since acquiring the Nova recently, I have not turned on my Shopsmith, mainly due to trying out my new toy and partialy because of being to lazy to change out the spindle adapter on the chuck.

I like to turn small bowls, boxes, goblets, and spinning tops. I am addicted to turning. :) I hope to learn plenty on this forum, and hopefully one day have enough knowledge and experience to contribute meaningfully. I strive for a Powermatic 2020 but the main deterrent is the cost which for me would include having to add 220v to my garage shop.

My shop is half a of a 2 car garage. I have a table saw, work bench, the two lathes described above, a Shopsmith 10ER dedicated drill press, jointer, Shopsmith MK V (with Band Saw and Strip sander with SS Power Station, and an older Craftsman Bandsaw. Kind of tight in there; but, I finally, after moving stuff around a few times found a configuartion that works well. I only do woodworking as a hobby.

Regards,
Dan

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome Dan. I started with a shopsmith 510. My dad had the newer model. My grandfather had the 10-ER. I now have a 2 1/2 car garage totally full of tools. I did the same woodworking 30 years ago in a 10x12 area with the shopsmith. I do it all a lot faster and with less sneaking up on the cuts now but if I absolutely had to I would buy another shopsmith. Except for the lathe. that in my opinion is the weakest point of the shopsmith. I had one of the early Nova Comets and it is far superior to the Shopsmith.

Thanks, John. I forgot to mention that my Shopsmith 10ER does have a speed changer allowing me to got down to around 425 rpm, and as such, I find it to be a pretty competent lathe. On the other hand, I've never turned on a large wood lathe (except in high school), so I don't know what I am missing. I would love to go to Craft Supplies USA in Utah for a 3 or 5 day class and try one of their Powermatics to see what I may be missing, and of course to learn turning.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The biggest difference between a solid lathe, even a mini and the shopsmith is vibration. For years every time I went to my parents house my dad would have a project for me to turn on his shopsmith. Even though I had 20 years of turning I still could not turn on that thing without chatter. The problems are 1 the bearings are too small in the headstock, 2 the tailstock is aluminum and the morse taper is only 1" long, the tool rest is cantilevered. All of those things add up to vibration. I had vibration problems on my Deltal 46-700 lathe that I bought after the shopsmith. It was better than the shopsmith and I thought the problems were me or tools not being sharp. Then I purchased the Nova Comet and all those problems went away. I sold everything else and that's when my journey toward stand alone tools took over.

John, I fully understand the aluminum tailstock thing to which you refer. However, the tailstock on the 10ER is solid cast iron. I do have vibration with the 10ER; maybe that's why I am not so good a turner :D. I do like my Nova Comet. :).

I would really like to turn on a full size lathe to see what I am missing.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I had one of the very old 10-ER models, like this one:
ea172ff2f8af87abd8ada757d55e10a3--shop-smith-milling-machine.jpg

Unlike John Lucas, I've never had the chance to turn on one, since I stopped using it, and subsequently sold it. I can't make a comparison, after my learning experience had progressed.......but, I do remember that my turnings on the new (heavier, and more stable) Northwood lathe were much improved. At that time, I probably didn't realize all the reasons why my turnings improved, but the realization that there was a difference was definitely there. :D

Thanks, Odie. That's the same model lathe as mine in the photo you posted, with the speed changer. Some had 1/2 hp motors and some 3/4 hp. Mine is the 3/4 hp at around 9 amps with significant power for somewhat aggressive roughing cuts.

Back