• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dan Snyder

I am a brand new wood turner, took a weekend class at WoodCraft a couple of months ago, and pretty much forgot how to do anything in the meantime. I just bought a Delta Midi and a Savannah chisel set. It is really rough going and I can't figure out why. I have tried turning white oak and cherry with no real progress. I can't afford anther class for quite a while and am very discouraged. I have the wolverine sharpening jig and that works great. I live in Geneva, IL. Is there somewhere I can go for guidance? You all were very helpful when I was looking for a lathe, and I appreciate it. Thank you.

Most clubs will have mentors and a library. The monthly demonstrations are priceless. I would be willing to bet that sharpening is part of your problem.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Until you can find a club there are lots of good videos on Youtube. Just do a search for wood turning or turning bowls, etc.
You can go to our club website and see a few of my videos. they are short and I plan to do more shortly but the one on turning a wine stopper, turning a cove, and the parting tool should give you a pretty good place to start when it comes to understanding how the tools work.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
There are books and videos for sale that give a great deal of information. CSUSA is a good source of these. This would be my suggestion for someone just starting out turning.......get some initial information from the pros first, then you can better judge some of the voluminous videos on Youtube with some sense of concept.

Youtube has some good videos, but beware of the well intentioned turner that is more of an expert in his own mind, than in reality. I suspect a good deal of beginning turners are misguided, or are not given the best information on Youtube.:(

ooc

Dan, Looks the the club in Downers Grove, IL would be closest.
Have fun learning.
Gil

Windy City Woodturners
Meetings
Meeting Location:
5101 Walnut Avenue
Downers Grove, IL

Meeting Info: 3rd Tuesday 7 PM​
Contact Information
Nick Page
670 Welch St
Gilberts, IL 60136
Phone: 847-931-9770
Email: nicklpage@sbcglobal.net
General Information
Number of Members: 40
Service Info: West & South Suburban Chicago​

Dan,

The Chicago Woodturners meet at Christian Liberty Academy in Arlington Heights on the second Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. We are going to be re-starting mentoring sessions in January. We will be starting those sessions at 6:00 p.m. and each month will cover a different skill or topic. We also have a several members in the Geneva area. Books and videos can be very informative once you have the basics mastered. Until then, there is no better way to learn than from other turners who can observe what you are doing and provide insight into what you might need to do differently. We have all skill levels from beginers to several professionals and everywhere in between. Several of us are willing to provide one-on-one lessons too.

Last edited:
Invitation to Chicago Woodturners

Hi, Dan.

I want to second Thomas' invitation. Christian Liberty Academy, 502 West Euclid Avenue in Arlington Heights is minutes off of 53/290/355. Half the meeting is dedicated to a demonstration. The guild has a lending library that includes, books, DVD's and magazines. There is a mentor program that is very helpful. Membership includes weekenders like me, professional turners and authors. We typically have 70 to 80 members attend, it is a large space. Visitors are welcome and the membership fee is nominal.

Back