• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dave Henry

Hi,
I have joined AAW at the family level and wanted to say what an awesome site you have here. It's a veritable vast wealth of information. I am proud to be a part of it.

I have been working with wood for over 30 years now. I really like working with wood, but I LOVE turning!

For the past year and a half I have been turning on a 1973 Craftsman tube lathe....oh the joy! lol I made 6 bowls on it and somehow they came out okay. About 2 weeks ago I finally received my brand new Jet 1642-2 EVS lathe! You talk about heaven....I had no idea what real turning was. I know there are allot of better lathes out there but this to me is totally amazing. I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone and am looking forward to soaking up the vast amount of knowledge this site has to offer.

Take care,
Dave Henry
PS A pic of my new lathe and the bowls I turned on the old craftsman. ( Don't laugh, lol ) The purple heart is not finished yet and the cell phone is for size reference.

Me&MyNewLathe01.jpg

MyFirstBowls01.jpg

Welcome to the AAW Dave,

The Jet 1640 EVS is a good buy. Our sympathies and admiration go out to you for your efforts on the craftsman lathe. It looks like you have a good start, I don't see a bad piece in the bunch. Happy turning!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Dave.......

Those look like some nice efforts there, and I know exactly what it feels like when you upgrade to a better lathe......:D

PS: You might want to give yourself a little more room behind your lathe......just to make it a little easier for clean-up.

ooc

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I have that exact lathe. I took the plunge about a year ago and cannot imagine what else I could need. If you are half as pleased with yours as I am with mine, you will be wearing that smile for a good long time!

We've been waiting for you

Dave, sounds like your hooked, wait till you go to the AAW Symposium then there's no turning back.
PS your bowls look great

Thanks all, you are too kind.

Yes...I am hooked, big time! What a difference in lathes...just the fact that the centers line up is awesome. lol, When I would get a catch on the craftsman, it would stop the motor, not now, I have to be much more careful with this lathe. It's amazing how smooth and quiet this machine is, I love it!

Thanks Odie, good idea. I am definately going to be makin shavins so the extra room would be nice.

I can't imagine, at this point anyway needing anything larger, I go out to the shop sometimes just to talk to it, lol:D

Take care all and thanks for the warm welcome!

Dave

Isn't that the truth Dan! I already purchased the Vicmarc 120 chuck, now comes all the different jaws and accessories for it not to mention all the turning tools, gauges etc. etc...;)

But oh man, what fun lays in front of us. After 2 years on that 40 year old craftsman tube lathe, this thing is a true pleasure!

Thanks again for the warm welcome all!

Take care,
Dave

Isn't that the truth Dan! I already purchased the Vicmarc 120 chuck, now comes all the different jaws and accessories for it not to mention all the turning tools, gauges etc. etc...;)

But oh man, what fun lays in front of us. After 2 years on that 40 year old craftsman tube lathe, this thing is a true pleasure!

Thanks again for the warm welcome all!

Take care,
Dave

Welcome!! Instead of old, dirty, wrinkly money , I have decide to leave my kid tools and wood.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dave I originally had one of the Delta cast iron cheapy lathes. It vibrated and dance around the room. when it had a problem and the parts got back ordered I purchased Nova Comet mini lathe. The Nova ran so much smoother I sold the Delta as soon as I got it running. From there it was all up hill with bigger and better lathes.
Glad your enjoying yours. I've turned on a bunch of lathes and The Jet 1642 is a mighty fine lathe.

I have the 1642 EVS and love it............you made a good choice.
There are others that are better but for what I could spend at the time this was my choice and I have never regreted it

Thanks a bunch guys:) I spent months doing research on lathes...and like Dan says, this was what I figured to be the best I could buy for the money. I kept trying to get a mustard but I just couldn't spread myself so thin. Either way, I am very happy and can't imagine needing anything larger. (for now anyway):p
Take care guys,
Dave

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think sometimes your better off buying a little bit less lathe and spending the extra money on tools and sharpening. The 1642 is fine for most people out there myself included, even though I have the Mustard monster. Very little of my turning actually uses 20" of swing.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Dave, I started on one of the Craftsman with two steel bars. The single tube was an upgrade. Our club bought the jet you have and its a really good lathe. I like my big oneway better but I think that lathe will let you concentrate on turning and not problems with a junk machine. I agree its quite a joy to go from a piece of junk to a good machine. Your photos of your turnings are much better that most 1st turnings. Sure better than my first ones.

Last edited:
Kelly has hit on a great concept that all new turners should adopt: while you begin by comparing to everyone else out there, the most important comparison is your current piece to your first piece! It is much more valuable to recognize the gains in your own turning before you compare yourself to others who may have much more experience. Just my 2Cents worth.

Great start - You need a ballast box

Hello,

I have the same lathe - they are great. I added a ballast box underneath, and added 300lbs of playsand. It makes a big difference for dampering vibrations.. Good luck and enjoy.

Brian

Hi,
I have joined AAW at the family level and wanted to say what an awesome site you have here. It's a veritable vast wealth of information. I am proud to be a part of it.

I have been working with wood for over 30 years now. I really like working with wood, but I LOVE turning!

For the past year and a half I have been turning on a 1973 Craftsman tube lathe....oh the joy! lol I made 6 bowls on it and somehow they came out okay. About 2 weeks ago I finally received my brand new Jet 1642-2 EVS lathe! You talk about heaven....I had no idea what real turning was. I know there are allot of better lathes out there but this to me is totally amazing. I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone and am looking forward to soaking up the vast amount of knowledge this site has to offer.

Take care,
Dave Henry
PS A pic of my new lathe and the bowls I turned on the old craftsman. ( Don't laugh, lol ) The purple heart is not finished yet and the cell phone is for size reference.

Me&MyNewLathe01.jpg

MyFirstBowls01.jpg

Back