• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

December 2022 Turning Challenge: Final Results

Please vote for your TWO top choices

• Alan Miotke

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Art Betke

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Christine Smith

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Curt Fuller

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Dave Landers

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Frank Calzaretta

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • James Seyfried

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Jim Tanksley

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Linda Ferber

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Mark Trenier

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Mike Szabo

• Richard Slosky

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Steve Brandt

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Suzette Edwards

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Walt Sepic

• Walter Mooney

• William Nelson

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Voting has ended. Congratulations to James Seyfried, the winner of the December challenge.

The December turning challenge was to turn one (or more) Christmas decoration(s) that wasn’t a tree ornament. The challenge now is for all forum members to help select the winner for December. Voting begins now and ends at midnight UTC (coordinated universal time) on December 31, 2022. You are allowed two votes, and once you have voted, you won't be able to go back and change your votes. After you have voted, you can track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election), so nobody else can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual waist-deep shavings-filled shop to determine the winner. The winner might have to pass a lie detector test before collecting the prizes.

You can click on any of the images below to see the originally posted image and description. Then you can right-click on the originally posted image and select "Open Image in New Tab" (or equivalent, depending on your browser) in the pop-up menu to see the full-size image in lightbox mode. Clicking on any of the images below does NOT cast a vote for that image. To cast your vote, you must go to the poll at the top of this thread.

Alan Miotke.jpgWWWArt Betke.jpg

Christine Smith.jpgWWWCurt Fuller.jpg

Dave Landers.jpgWWWFrank Calzaretta.jpg

James_Seyfried.jpgWWWJim_Tanksley.jpg

Linda_Ferber.jpgWWWMark Trenier.jpg

Mike_Szabo.jpgWWWRichard Slosky.jpg

Steve_Brandt.jpgWWWSuzette Edwards.jpg

Walt_Sepic.jpgWWWWalter_Mooney.jpg

William_Nelson.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Boy, this is a really tough decision. These are ALL really terrific Holiday items. Great work, Everyone.

It certainly was a tough decision. Thanks to the seventeen contestants, all of the Christmas decorations really are wonderful. And thanks to the seventy forum members who voted and made this challenge a nail-biter. And, finally, congratulations to the December Turning Challenge winner, James Seyfried.

Website
jpseyfried.com
Thanks, Bill, Lou, and Curt!

I am amazed to squeak out the win, as there are so many excellent turnings.

I had quite the assist from Curt Fuller. I was so impressed with a couple of bells that he made that I was inspired to give it a try. I used his as models and quickly found that there was a learning curve to making bells.

Lou, they do make a bit of a jingle, but not as loud as I had hoped for. I had bought three sets of little bells. The first batch was too small so I bought a couple more. The larger bell shaped ones that I though might be the nicest didn’t hardly make any noise at all. I even thought about writing a bad review for them. I showed them to my wife and complained about the sound. She said they ringed good, I said, but not very loud. She said yes they do it is just a high pitch. :) And I was wearing my hearing aids!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Lou, they do make a bit of a jingle, but not as loud as I had hoped for. I had bought three sets of little bells. The first batch was too small so I bought a couple more. The larger bell shaped ones that I though might be the nicest didn’t hardly make any noise at all. I even thought about writing a bad review for them. I showed them to my wife and complained about the sound. She said they ringed good, I said, but not very loud. She said yes they do it is just a high pitch. :) And I was wearing my hearing aids!

Oh my! That sounds like a recent experience I had with a stud sensor. It no longer made a high pitched sound when it sensed a stud/pipe/wiring. So I went to the hardware store and bought a fancy new Zircon stud sensor and dang if it didn't have the same problem. :rolleyes: You would think that these manufacturers would figure out that that a lower pitched sound would be appreciated by us geezers. Also, just recently our doorbell quit working ... or, did it?

Thanks, Bill, Lou, and Curt!

I am amazed to squeak out the win, as there are so many excellent turnings.

I had quite the assist from Curt Fuller. I was so impressed with a couple of bells that he made that I was inspired to give it a try. I used his as models and quickly found that there was a learning curve to making bells.

Congratulations. I do a bell Christmas ornament and use a 1 1/4 " bell and it makes a nice sound. You might also find them as sleigh bells.

Website
jpseyfried.com
Thank you, Gerald, Russ, and Christine!

Gerald, I have been searching for a larger bell, there are a lot of choices. It does seem like a 1 ¼” would be a good choice.

Christine, I think all of the entries look great and agree with Russ that it is a tough choice. As you have expressed I think competition can encourage and inspire us.

Back