• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Detail Gouge

Website
www.zionfire.com
Hey y'all,

Something that I've not seen discussed here.

I'm considering purchase of (or regrinding to achieve) a detail gouge.

Thoughts, brands, potholes, or other input welcome, either on forum or
via email direct.

Thanks in advance.

Look up and email Michael Hosaluk. He uses nothing but the detail gouge and is masterful with it. He's also amazingly nice and can help out even over email.

Dietrich

I've got the one Packard sells. Think it's a Taylor. Really just a shallower grind version of a cylindrical gouge, which I reground to a pointed configuration for stable poke with a long wing for peel. Great gouge for use hollowing endgrain. For "detail" work, assuming you mean finer detail like narrow grooves and coves I use smaller diameter gouges, also with more pointed grinds. They have short handles to maneuver over the bed freely, something a long-winged gouge has to do if you're going to take best advantage peeling.

Have heard nice things about the P&N detail. Standard grind with that one is similar to the 1/2" forged or continental gouge, which peels great with the constant angle bevel and a bit of a round nose for poke.

Dean,

David Ellsworth uses a detail gouge that is reground from a 3/8" Crown spindle detail gouge. The bevel is removed and sanded and polished as in the picture. It's ideal for slicing off the nubbie on the bottom of a bowl (outside) as well as for working rims and beads. The convex curved "bevel" doesn't compress the wood fibers and it severs them very cleanly. Also good to shorten the handle. I have/made one of these and go to it often. The convex curve provides a variable point of leverage so you get great control over the cutting edge.

Attachments

• detail_gouge2b.jpg
    detail_gouge2b.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 510
I use two. A Crown Pro PM (similar to M4 steel) 3/8" detail gouge which is very reasonably priced and holds an edge for a long time. The second is a Sorby 1/2" spindle gouge reground to a detail profile. This one is M2 steel but also holds a good edge. The Sorby is a bit more pricey even though it's not powdered metal steel.

Website
www.zionfire.com
dkulze said:
Look up and email Michael Hosaluk. He uses nothing but the detail gouge and is masterful with it. He's also amazingly nice and can help out even over email
Dietrich:

Tried that. Could not find a current, valid email address. Do you have one??

I greatly appreciate the other answers thus far. Good food for thought. I promise not to over-study the situation! :cool:

Website
www.ispinwood.com
I believe that it really comes down to the grind. As can be seen from these responses, people have favorites but most have reground the profile of the original tool. I like the Sorby handles so I have a couple of those. But I also use old carbon steel tools that I have made handles for using the Sorby design. These work fine.

If you do a variety of work, it is nice to have several different sizes and grinds. I mostly use a more pointy grind with a swept back wing, probably similar to what others have mentioned. But a rounder finger will produce better coves or finish the bottom of hollow end grain easier. So various grinds have uses. To some extent it’ll be whatever you get used to working with. The thing to remember, if you are having trouble cutting a particular detail, stop the lathe and check how the tool’s profile fits the shape you’re attempting. Position the tool against the stationary wood to determine how to approach the cut. You may find that a different profile will do the job easier.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
DeanGThomas said:
Dietrich:

Tried that. Could not find a current, valid email address. Do you have one??

I greatly appreciate the other answers thus far. Good food for thought. I promise not to over-study the situation! :cool:
Mikey sell the P&N detail gouges and then puts a double bevel on them. While he is quite materfull at it, it indeed takes some learning curve. He just buzzes through material with them and out comes a perfectly round ball. Quite amazing

Back