• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

DIY tool handle?

Hmm, the Hop Hornbeam on my Dad's property in MO must be a giant. Probably 18+ diameter.... Unless it is a different sub species. I need one to plant on my property...

robo hippy

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Around here, we call Hornbeam "Ironwood" .. the trees are pretty distinctive by their trunk shapes.. don't think I have ever seen one (even on my grandpa's farm) that was much over 12 inches diameter.. maybe a couple old stumps that were 18 inchers... I'd assume what with their density, the growth in diameter would be very very slow and very close-grained...

Hmm, the Hop Hornbeam on my Dad's property in MO must be a giant. Probably 18+ diameter.... Unless it is a different sub species. I need one to plant on my property...

robo hippy
The first time I went out to harvest hornbeam for hand screws it was in south west MN on the edge of the great plains and those were larger then the ones I can find 200 miles north where I now live.

I wanted to convert one of my metal handles to wooden handle with a collet to change out gouges. No good reason other than I like wooden handles. Robust sells one but it's way to expensive. I bought a collet chuck and collet on Amazon but the collet chuck nut was not machined correctly and sent it back. Anyone built their own with a hand tighten collet chuck setup? I know I could get the sleeve type and make a knob for the set screw as well but wanted to try the collet chuck style if can do for a reasonable price. I don't want lots of handles, just two. One for my 5/8 gouges and one for my 1/2 gouges. Rest of my stuff can live with permanent handles.
The beauty of the collet handle is that you don't need to grab another tool which takes additional time when removing the tool from the handle. At the grinder, finding and using a hex key is time-consuming. Changing a collet to a different size would take even more time. (Some gouges are not always standard size and may be difficult finding the correct collet size.)
To avoid this, just use a 3/4" collet only. Fit all your gouges with 3/4" sleeve adapters. You'll only need one handle for both your 5/8" and 1/2" gouge! If I were to use a collet handle, this is the direction I would be leaning toward. It's the most efficient and economical path.

I use CAM handles which have all the advantages that I mentioned above. Jimmy Clewes sells the mechanism that accepts a 5/8" diameter shaft. I would look into tha as well. Your 5/8" gouge and your 1/2 gouge with a sleeve will work with that.
In this string last January, I mentioned above that I was making a CAM handle. After a few tries, I did successfully make one.
Believe it or not, it all can be done on your wood lathe without any special tools. You would need a Jacobs chuck, 3/4 HSS drill bit, 1/32" shims, chuck jaws that hold 1"-1.25" dowels that need to be bored. I have made small CAM handles out of PVC and oak. You cant get much cheaper than that. Recently, I upgraded to Aluminum tube and Aluminum rounds(About $20) all of which can be drilled on my wood lathe. I make my own sleeves from 1018 soft steel rounds which also can be drilled to various sizes depending on the gouge or tool diameter. The cost of the sleeves which I usually make 3" long is under a dollar.
If you want more info on the construction of the CAM handles let me know. I am putting together a presentation for my local club meeting in June.

Last edited:
Back