• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Don C Davis

My name is Don Davis, I'm a former real estate developer from the northern burbs of Atlanta. About 6 years ago, the hospital tried to kill me, and they came close--so after 3 months in a Coma, I came to and had lost all nerve function in my feet an ankles--took me about 2 years to learn to walk again-with a cane-but over the last 4 years I've gotten to where I don't use the cane anymore and I have dove into the woodworking Rabbit-hole. My good friend got me into turning about 3 1/2 years ago, we started with Pens, and I have expanded to larger items-bowls, peppermills and vases etc. I'm at a stage where I am trying to figure out the 'get wood inexpensively' and laminating mu own blanks out of contrasting woods etc. I'm very open to learning new stuff, and like to learn the old tricks of the trade from those experienced turners out there.

I live in the northern burbs of Atlanta, in a community that I actually built--since my disability occurred, I can't work anymore, my stamina died along with the nerves in my feet and ankles :(
Look forward to the interaction here!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Don. You will find a bunch of very friendly and knowledgeable folks here who are eager to share what they know. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you have because I assure you that we've all been where where you are now.

Woodturning is such a diverse field that nobody can claim that they know all there is to know. In many respects we're all beginners eagerly soaking up knowledge about various aspects of woodturning.

One of the best resources of learning and sharing in woodturning are local clubs. There are a couple AAW chapters in Atlanta: http://www.woodturner.org/search/newsearch.asp

Guys thanks for the input, I am a member of the Etowah River club in the Canton area of Georgia. It definitely has some knowledgeable members and is a great place to learn.
Glad to be participating finally, took me a long time to get logging on to the forum straightened out!!!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome Don. I talked to the club president about having me down to do a demo sometime. Just did a demo for the Elijay club and apparently they lost some members to the Canton club. Hope your group is going well. Hope you enjoy this hobby as much as we do.

Back