• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Doug White

A newbie on the block and am looking forward to learning as much as I can from many of you who are willing to share...I have purchased an older Delta 46-541 12" lathe and am in the process of restoring it and setting it up....Anyone with experience with this machine I would appreciate your suggestions and tips...

Delta 46-541

While I haven't worked with this particular lathe, I have restored and sold over 25 lathe in the last few years. I almost always replace the bearings in the headstock and tailstock. It's not expensive to do (although it does take a fair amount of time) and it improves the performance of the lathe, especially an older one like this. While you have the spindle out of the headstock, you can check and replace the belt(s), if needed. You didn't indicate whether this is a 4-speed or variable speed lathe. If it's a 4-speed, you can check and make sure the pulleys are lined up so the belt is vertical and not skewed to one side or the other. If it's a variable speed, the Reeves drive probably needs to be removed, cleaned and reassembled with new grease. Hope these ideas are of some help.
Tim Carter

The 46-541 shows as an either/or model number. You might want to go over here and download the pdf http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1489 for a look at what you have. If you do decide to replace bearings regardless of condition, KEEP the preload washer! There are, so far as I know from my old Delta, no bearings in the tailstock. Quill and lock only.

My recommendation - don't "repair" what isn't broken. Bearing condition is easy to determine, bearing replacement not difficult, but no thrill. Use the numbers on the old bearings and go to a regular bearing place for replacement, not a lathe place. http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/delta/46-541/ The 4-step will definitely benefit from a replacement belt. Old ones develop a "set" that bounces for a couple minutes. Link belts never do! You won't need to do anything but cut the old belt off if you go link.

Thank you for your response...

New bearings are on my list to replace along with new belts...I had not considered going to link but will surely consider doing so...Sorry I had not mentioned that my lathe is variable speed....You mentioned lubing the belt changing mech....I'm not sure what to do here...Thanks again

Back