• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dream instuctor or workshop

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The dream lathe got me thinking. If money(and time and travel) wasn't a problem which 3 instructors would you like to study under. I could name a dozen but it's going to be hard to narrow it down to 3.
I would say, Micheal Hosaluk, David Ellsworth, and , boy I'm having tough time on the 3rd one, there's so many turners I find interesting. I want someone who can inspire me more than just teach technique. I think I'll say Haley Smith.

Mike Mahoney would definately be one of mine. High energy one on one. I had one day with Mike last year and I would love to do a week with him. Trent Bosch I would expect to offer that same level of energy if I can't get Mike. Both young guys so I will probably fullfil those dreams. (No bad jokes, please)

I would probably pick one of the 'decorators' like Molly Winton or Betty Scarpino. (See I like girls too)

Third place I'd have to get advice from the first two dream instructors.

Frank

This is a tough one.
I did go to Elsworth for bowls and hollowing. The experience of being with him "in country" and in his shop was amazing. David is fun to be with as well as mind expanding.
I think Nick Cook is best for spindle work. He is a fine teacher and is gives and extraordinary amount of energy.

The third is tough as I can quickly reel off three or four for specific areas:
Al Stirt for design, Mike Mahoney for bowls, Don Derry for form and ergonomics, Cliff Lounsbery for artistic passion (plus he's a hell of a trout guide!)
Thanks for the thread. It reminds me how gifted we are to have so many good teachers!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
So far you all are listing my favorite people. There are a few more Clay Foster, Stoney Lamar, and Robyn Horn are people I could learn a lot from on a one on one basis.

After being a video volunteer there are several I worked with in Lexington that I would love to spend some time with. Mike Mahoney was high energy and talked like we coulld actually all do great turnings with a little work, great confidence builder. I worked one of the smaller rooms upstairs most of time with younger and less well-known guys, and it as a great experience. Can't find my program right now but I'll go back and look. I'd love a few days with anyone that is a better turner than i am, which is most people, as long as they are a "people-person". I hate demo people that act like they are so much better than you.

Saw a Nick Cook one-day demo, would love to spend some ono-n-one time with him also.

So many turners that I could learn from, but I'd say that my choices would be David Ellsworth, not only for the hollowing, but also for artistic direction.

Next would be Malcom Tibbetts for segmented turning which I feel combines the best of art and engineering. When you see his pieces, you see the art, but when you read his descriptions, you just can't help but go WHOA! I am amazed the amount of planning that goes into his pieces.

Alan Lacer would be my third choice for his techniques with sharpening and skews (I WILL master the skew one day!)

All of the great turners out there makes me glad that there's such things as home video and symosiums, it's not the same as one-on-one, but it's better than nothing.

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
An interesting question

I think that John has posed a great question. I thought about it and wondered if there is a slightly different underlying question that folks are actually answering. I have made the usual brief contacts with several of the names that have been offered and I find them to be interesting people. So I offer this thought:

If I say that I would like to take lessons from Joe Doe, am I really saying that I would like to enjoy the friendship of Joe and I find his work interesting?

And a follow-up thought. Some recent political posts on WoW have made me realize that there are some big names who I would not be comfortable around. And as a consequence I would not seek instruction from them.

For turners who are in the beginning phase I would recommend spending time with Bob Rosand.

And I have posed the question a little differently for myself. Who would I like to spend a week with at Arrowmont?
Al Stirt, J-F Escoulon, Stuart Batty, and Jimmy Clewes. I realize that they do not all teach at Arrowmont and that format may or may not work for them, but this is all pie-in-the-sky anyway.

For some reason I feel more comfortable in a class setting than I do in one-on-one. :confused:

As a turner that still needs technique training my choices, for now, would be Jimmy Clewes, Mike Mahoney and Nick Cook, in any order.

Since this is fantasy, what I would really do with unlimited funds and time would be to travel the world and visit as many turners as would allow me some of their time. I would start in New Zealand and Australia and work my way back to the states.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Now your talkin' Jake. I could spend an entire summer in New Zealand and Australia visiting turners. I love the work coming out of there. Graham Priddle is great.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If I were reccomending to others

Some of the better teachers that I have seen first hand are:
Trent Bosch, Jimmy Clewes, David Ellsworth, Al Stirt,

Three people I probably learned the most from were
Liam Oneill, Johannes Michelson, and Christian Burchard

People I'd like to take a class with right now are
Frank Sudol, Jaques Vessery, Michael Lee

hockenbery said:
If I were reccomending to others

Some of the better teachers that I have seen first hand are:
Trent Bosch, Jimmy Clewes, David Ellsworth, Al Stirt,

Three people I probably learned the most from were
Liam Oneill, Johannes Michelson, and Christian Burchard

People I'd like to take a class with right now are
Frank Sudol, Jaques Vessery, Michael Lee
I'd kind of like to spend some time with David Marks. I think he has alot going on that I would like to check out.

If this is truly fantasy and all the "name" turners were all good instructors? Bin (sp) Po, Andi Wolfe, & Cindy Drozda.

Whoops I forgot Rich Raffan, Dave Ellsworth and the guy who I think is in Australia who turns things so big he climbs in them to sand them.

I've already had two of those dream instructors realized:
1) Mike Mahoney
2) Richard Raffan
Later this month, thanks to Al and Sherry Hockenbery, I will attend a 4 day class with Jimmy Clewes!
So my next dream would include the following, in no particular order:
Petter Herud
Jacques Vesery
Neil Scobie

This is a fun thread - makes me think back to all the demos I have seen at past symposiums, club demos and the couple of times I have attended Arrowmont. I have been to a bunch of the symposiums and there are a bunch of great instructors out there. Hard to pick the best or the ones that would provide the best instruction. I think that it would depend on where one was in the woodturning progression stage. As an early turner one would pick instructor "A", but later on instructor "B" would be better. Spending a week with an instructor in a classroom with other turners is a great experience. It is too tough to pick out a few names.

For my 50th birthday (a few years back) my wife sent me to Arrowmont for two weeks with John Jordan and Gail Montgomery as the instructors - one class - two instructors - two weeks long with all the fresh sugar maple wood to turn that you wanted. I learned so much about shape (I was ready) from those two. The best vacation I have ever had. I have had other instruction from a couple of well known turners and learned from all of them and had a great time with them also. I still think it depends on where one is at the time.
Hugh

A couple of additional names to some I though about earlier-
Bob Rosand
Mark St. Legear

I had the priviledge to work the cameras for both of these guys at Lexington, not only are they great demo turners but they were truely fun to be with. I felt like I not only could learn a lot but they would be fun just to sit down and talk with. Really like their styles!

hockenbery said:
Leslie s.

I have seen Cindy teach a 5 day and 3 day workshop. She is a terrifc teacher.

-Al

I'm jealous. One of these days.......I can't wait for it to happen.

woodwish said:
A couple of additional names to some I though about earlier-
Bob Rosand
Mark St. Legear

I had the priviledge to work the cameras for both of these guys at Lexington, not only are they great demo turners but they were truely fun to be with. I felt like I not only could learn a lot but they would be fun just to sit down and talk with. Really like their styles!

I have to agree with you on these two. They also go the extra mile, in their demos and hands on classes. Especially when the third member of the "Muskateers", Linda Van Gehuchten, rides in to lend a hand. Our Chapter had the pleasue of all three a while back and what started out as an almost disaster turned out to be the best $20 ticket any of us ever bought. :D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This is a great topic.
Take as many classes as you can.

Taking a 3-5 day class with a quality instructor will do more for your enjoyment of woodturning than any new tool.

I have seen first-hand the growth of hundreds of student during a multiday workshops. They all leave significantly better turners.
tool control, skills, confidence, risk taking, finding their own creativity.

Classes can be costly - travel and lodging are usually 2-5 times the tuition cost. If you have a space and some time to organize it you can bring the classes to your area.

When I lived in Maryland the mater turners came to annapolis. Frank Amigo started imho the best community woodturing program in nation at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts. Local folks taught basic and intermediate woodturning and each year 1 or 2 well known turners gave 5 day classes.

Frank ran classes by Christian Burchard, David Ellsworth, Clay Foster, Michelle Holzapfel, John Jordan, Bonnie Klein, Johannes Michelsen, Liam O'Neill, Michael Peterson, Palmer Sharpless, Al Stirt, and chip carver Wayne Barton.

When FranK left for New Mexico I took over the program for 3 years hosting Trent Bosch, Jimmy Clewes, Cindy Drozda, Lyle Jamieson, Al Stirt.

The program is contuing today with Trent Bosch teaching at Maryland Hall in November.

Happy Turning,
Al

Dream

john lucas said:
The dream lathe got me thinking. If money(and time and travel) wasn't a problem which 3 instructors would you like to study under. I could name a dozen but it's going to be hard to narrow it down to 3.
I would say, Micheal Hosaluk, David Ellsworth, and , boy I'm having tough time on the 3rd one, there's so many turners I find interesting. I want someone who can inspire me more than just teach technique. I think I'll say Haley Smith.

My dream 3 would include Ray Key for his pristine forms, Michael Hosaluk because he helps to free you, Michelle Holzapfel for her intellectual approach, Cindy Drozda, Betty Scarpino for exquisite forms and details, Ron Fleming for amazing techniques and carving, Stoney Lamar for the force he brings to his sculptures, John Jordan and David Ellsworth for their dedication to teaching, Michael Lee for his nature-inspired shaping, Andrew Gittoes for his concepts, Johnny Escolen for showing that multi-access can be done right., Michale Brolly because his mind is often off this world...
Is that 3? No, wait, I think I'll nominate myself for willingness to reshape the rules as appropriate...

Back