• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drum Chuck Edging (the rubber) ???

I have a silly problem. The neoprene rings on the lips of my Oneway vacuum drum chucks (I have the 3.5" and 5.5" sizes) wear out too fast. I have a theory about why this is happening ... I have been chucking hollow forms that fit partially "into" the chuck. I think the vacuum is pulling the piece further into the drum, thereby tearing the thin neoprene. I am guessing that if I put something flat like a platter against the chuck this wouldn't happen.

So, two questions ...

1. Is my theory right, and if so, how do you HF turners use a vacuum chuck without tearing the neoprene?, and

2. Is there anything other than the neoprene rings that Oneway supplies that might stand up better? Sources?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David

U Haul

Go to your local u haul or other shipping place and buy a bag of 1/8" plastic foam. It works really well. David Lancaster showed this in his rotations in Kansas City. i have also used "FOAMIES" from Wally World or a craft store. They are thin foam rubber with a glue backing where you just cut off what you need and peel and stick.

I almost forgot the uhaul foam dosen't stick like the neoprene when the vacuum is off so you can adjust the piece more easily as needed and then turn the vacuum back up to hold.

Hope that helps

Vernon

Back