• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dylan Skeean

Hello everyone, I'm 48 years old from Central Massachusetts and spent 27 years as a CNC Machinist but had to retire due to an illness. My kids bought me a small wood lathe to keep me from going crazy and I fell in love instantly! I have a couple cheap harbor freight lathes and have been turning for 3 months now. I have so much to learn and I'm fascinated by hollow forms and vessels like that. I joined this forum to sharpen my skills and learn the art of wood turning from people just like myself. So in between surgeries and treatments I like to keep busy making bowls and boxes for the family.

Thank you for having me, I hope to contribute one day to help others as much as I need help now.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome,
If you have not already done so, I suggest you visit the Central New England Woodturners, a local AAW chapters.
They meet close to you
http://www.cnew.org/

Local chapters provide many learning opportunities and a room full of people helping each other.

This thread might interest you. It is a split hollow form just the right size for a small lathe.
You can turn one from two pieces of 7x7 x. 1.5 or 2” thick. Poplar works well as does any hardwood.
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/turning-a-seed-jar-split-hollow-form.13584/

Great form for learning.

Dylan, welcome to the forum. Look at the main AAW website and find a local chapter. Well worth it. I joined one about 4 or 5 years ago and have learned a lot. Most AWW chapters have mentors that work with new people.

Hopefully you can hook up with a local turning club or find a seasoned wood turner in your town. Spending a few hours each week with experienced wood turners will speed your learning curve and give you plenty of answers for all of the questions we all had starting out.

Dylan I just read your story One Million Strong that Bill posted and I must say that it is so inspiring. God bless you and your family and happy turning!;)

Welcome aboard, Dylan. I saw your One Million Strong web page yesterday. Your's is a very inspiring story.
Thank you very much Bill, I really appreciate that! I've had a few hiccups since that blog post but I still fight hard every day. I've got a procedure first thing tomorrow morning so my anxiety level is a little high today.

Thank you to everyone that has replied, I appreciate the suggestions and I hope to join the local wood turning chapter one day. I absolutely love turning and would love to see how others turn as well. One of my biggest issues as a new turner is torn grain, man that's a pain in the butt! Hopefully I can rectify that problem and continue to enjoy wood turning.

Again, thank you all!

Dylan I just read your story One Million Strong that Bill posted and I must say that it is so inspiring. God bless you and your family and happy turning!;)
Thank you very much my friend, always appreciated!

I know that you have a bunch of folks praying for you and since joining the forum, you now have a bunch more.
I do, and you can never have enough good people praying for good health so I really appreciate that, and thank you very much! I find that very inspiring, when complete strangers truly care and keep me in their thoughts and prayers. The one good thing cancer has done for me is renewed my faith in humanity. Seriously, I have met so many really nice people since I've been sick and I appreciate every single one of them!

Back