• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Elderberry

Has anybody turned any Elderberry wood??? I am blessed with 10 acres of assorted trees and stuff (all bought and paid for, thank yew) and am taking down a huge Elderberry tree (approx. 12" diameter on the stump) that has sadly split. I am in the Portland, Oregon (Orygun to you Easterners) area, and cannot find any info in my reference books. Any help would be much appreciated.

It's wood... It'll turn.

I've never turned any... but I'd like to. :p I think it would be worth a try.
I'd cut some of it into blanks, and AnchorSeal the whole thing. Then I'd try leaving at least one long piece with only the ends sealed... just to see what it would do. ;)
Somebody has turned it before. They'll probably give you some better info than this.

Mr. Don said:
Has anybody turned any Elderberry wood??? I am blessed with 10 acres of assorted trees and stuff (all bought and paid for, thank yew) and am taking down a huge Elderberry tree (approx. 12" diameter on the stump) that has sadly split. I am in the Portland, Oregon (Orygun to you Easterners) area, and cannot find any info in my reference books. Any help would be much appreciated.

Don, you might be mistaken on your species ID as Elderberry is listed as a fruit-bearing bush. It's not listed as a wood source in any publication I've been able to check.

Of course we'll all get to see it next year in your town in June!

m

Rather than "elderberry" would it by any chanch be "mulberry"

I have turned mulberry and I found it to be very nice wood to turn.

DMcIvor

AAW Staff
Website
www.mcivorwoodworks.com
elderberry?

Yeah, can't be elderberry. Not only is elderberry a shrub, but it has a spongy, nearly hollow pith. Back home in Virginia (or "Virginie," as we natives say), people used the branches to make folk toys, because you could poke a small stick through the center of the elderberry branch to create a hollow tube. A precursor to completing your corncob pipe, no doubt.

If you google "elderberry wood" you'll find alot of refferences to it as a hard, brittle wood used in flutes and instruments, including sambucos. That would make me guess that the elderberry bushes we're used to and elderberry trees are different things. Either way, should turn nicely if it's used for instrument wood.

Dietrich

Elderberry Wood

Got the tree down today....harvested about 8 GALLONS of berries, gonna make me some wine and jam. This is definitely an Elderberry tree. True, as a small shrub it has a sponge like pith, but this changes as the shrub matures into its final tree form. I am going to make some into sawed boards, bowl blanks, rip some logs thru center to get rid of the pith, and leave some as small logs. All will be treated liberally with Anchor-seal, and put inside my shop. Yes, I WILL bring some sample turnings to the Symposium in Portland. I will turn a piece or two green, and post my results, along (hopefully) with some pictures. I decided to leave the stump, as it may send up suckers and eventually new trees. Thanks beyond words to all you that responded so fast! This kind of "people helping people" makes the annual dues priceless!!! :D

Just found this:

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Elderberry/elderber.htm

"Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
Elderberry is a common soft-stemmed shrub that inhabits many fence lines and wet areas in the southeast. Sometimes it reaches tree height. It grows in moist, open places such as the edges of swamps, wet woodlands, cypress domes, and lakes. You can find elderberry growing in non-natural areas like retention ponds, ditches, grasslands, and canal banks. It can be found in these bottomland habitats throughout Florida and across the Gulf region to Mexico."

I just remember my Sister talking about Elderberry wine. Didn't know they were from trees, too.
Thanks for posting this. :)

Website
www.woodnheart.com
I have also seen elderberry trees in SW Washington. Not very big in diameter.

Don if you want to share a piece I will give it an alcohol bath and see what happens. I expect it would respond well to the process.

Dave Smith

Saw my first band tailed pigon in an elderberry tree in Longview, WA.

Elderberry update

Sorry, folks...guess I jumped the gun a bit. Although in a wind protected area this tree was severely cracked internally (wind shakes). Looked like the growth rings cracked apart, and there was lots of radial cracking also. These all went from ground to every branch tip. I was able to salvage very little...some mini-bowls, small vases, and some inlay and segmenting stock. I don't regret taking it down, as rot was setting in. Very heartbreaking. Oh well...I tried.... :( :(

Back