• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Eyelets

What kind of eyelets do you use to hang finials and other things
I was looking for a more decorative eyelet and can not find anything other than the standard one
Been looking on Amazon for them

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I’ve used jewelry wires with eyes, fish hook eyes.
Have glued in monfiliment

Wooden eyes are often a good choice

Hole can be drilled in the top of the ornament before finish turning
One my wife, Sherry, made this one IMG_4230.jpeg
Ornament turned from a board IMG_2664.jpeg

This one has a hanger glued in IMG_0275.jpeg

Hanger turned like this. Hole drilled before final turning IMG_0273.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
What kind of eyelets do you use to hang finials and other things
I was looking for a more decorative eyelet and can not find anything other than the standard one
Been looking on Amazon for them
Depends - on the appropriate size for your items. Search for 'jewelry findings'. Small decorative screw eyes are difficult to source these days. Cut off Eye Pins, fish hooks, or homemade twisted brass wire can be used in combination with Jump Rings. Here is a link for some small ones (a little larger than what I have used) that I just found - many sizes available. All my old sources seem to have disappeared.

https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h201465fx

https://www.aawforum.org/community/media/2019-ornaments.18288/

I make my own with some fine brass wire from one of the craft stores and a pair of pliers designed for that purpose. Can bang out several dozen in front of a tv show, or other time when a mindless activity can be done.

Back